Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

DD with Skinnies?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DD with Skinnies?

It's not going to happen soon, but I thought maybe down the road (no pun intended lol) I'd run skinnies up front. Anything I should look out for? Worse braking? Impaired handling through turns/maneuvering capability? Dangerous in the rain? Just don't want to drive as I normally would on one of those circular on ramps and find myself shooting straight off into traffic or plowing down a kid that runs in front of me because of how different it is. Anyone runnin skinnies on their DD, let me know how it is driving them... especially in the rain!

-Marcus
Old 12-27-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am running them and it's ok. I will be going back to a 17" setup again though. I just liked hoe it drove better.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

I've ran skinnies a few times.. no braking issues.. Just have to pay more attention to corners.. I run the set up in sig.. Love it.. No issues at all..
Old 12-27-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FasTimeSS
I am running them and it's ok. I will be going back to a 17" setup again though. I just liked hoe it drove better.
So would you say it's easier to drive with normal sized tires up front ?

Originally Posted by OIF1VET
I've ran skinnies a few times.. no braking issues.. Just have to pay more attention to corners.. I run the set up in sig.. Love it.. No issues at all..
Makes sense... I already take it easy in turns already so I don't think I'll have a problem. For normal commuting does it Feel any different? Like turning response?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by need2speed94
It's not going to happen soon, but I thought maybe down the road (no pun intended lol) I'd run skinnies up front. Anything I should look out for? Worse braking? Impaired handling through turns/maneuvering capability? Dangerous in the rain? Just don't want to drive as I normally would on one of those circular on ramps and find myself shooting straight off into traffic or plowing down a kid that runs in front of me because of how different it is. Anyone runnin skinnies on their DD, let me know how it is driving them... especially in the rain!

-Marcus
Is that even legal? I wouldn't think they'd be DOT rated, considering they would have to contend with the weight, and heat, of regular road use which they probably aren't designed to tolerate for extended periods. That thinner profile will reduce braking performance, handling, and will probably make the car even more squirrelly in bad weather.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
Is that even legal? I wouldn't think they'd be DOT rated, considering they would have to contend with the weight, and heat, of regular road use which they probably aren't designed to tolerate for extended periods. That thinner profile will reduce braking performance, handling, and will probably make the car even more squirrelly in bad weather.
Yea as far as I know DOT skinnies are not around? Maybe someone will correct me, I've never ran skinnies so I'm not the one to ask. As for bad weather... that is 90% up the driver IMO. Of course with slicks things are different but when it comes to things like this, I believe with good driving you will be fine.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Makes sense... I already take it easy in turns already so I don't think I'll have a problem. For normal commuting does it Feel any different? Like turning response?
Guess it depends how much you drive it.. Mine is a fair weather car only.. No rain, no snow.... I have no issues at all for what I do..
Old 12-27-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Guess it depends how much you drive it.. Mine is a fair weather car only.. No rain, no snow.... I have no issues at all for what I do..
Ahh. I'm sure after some getting used to, I'd be able to drive it just fine. Just wanted an opinion on how much of a difference it was. Have you Ever driven it in the rain? Or is it strictly dry? Because that was a big concern for me, rain traction up front.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

Ahh. I'm sure after some getting used to, I'd be able to drive it just fine. Just wanted an opinion on how much of a difference it was. Have you Ever driven it in the rain? Or is it strictly dry? Because that was a big concern for me, rain traction up front.
I got caught in the rain once or twice, I just slowed down accordingly and had no issues...
Old 12-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have run skinnies on many DD cars , they drive similar to a normal setup other than the things you already stated . Just keep your distance .... they will drive fine in the rain , but they dont stop as well under hard braking especially in the rain .
Old 12-27-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

I got caught in the rain once or twice, I just slowed down accordingly and had no issues...
Hmm, alright. Thanks! Will do the same when I get skinnies for my car.

Originally Posted by Scooter76
I have run skinnies on many DD cars , they drive similar to a normal setup other than the things you already stated . Just keep your distance .... they will drive fine in the rain , but they dont stop as well under hard braking especially in the rain .
Yea, I'll probably drive much more safe in the rain. Not that I was ever a speed demon when it was wet... I've always tried to drive very cautious in the rain, I'm horrified of ever wrecking my baby hah.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Yea as far as I know DOT skinnies are not around? Maybe someone will correct me, I've never ran skinnies so I'm not the one to ask. As for bad weather... that is 90% up the driver IMO. Of course with slicks things are different but when it comes to things like this, I believe with good driving you will be fine.
Too me if it's not outright dangerous, it's at least inadvisable. A 165/80/15 maybe fine on a highway for a DD 4 banger that weights 2000 lbs, but on a car that weighs 3300-3600 lbs it sounds like "asking for trouble".

Yah I get the "well I've done it for years, and just drive slower" stuff, but it's that one time in the rain when you have to make a panic stop that you're really going to need that extra meat upfront. Maybe hit up dlove or Villain281H, and ask what they think.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

Too me if it's not outright dangerous, it's at least inadvisable. A 165/80/15 maybe fine on a highway for a DD 4 banger that weights 2000 lbs, but on a car that weighs 3300-3600 lbs it sounds like "asking for trouble".

Yah I get the "well I've done it for years, and just drive slower" stuff, but it's that one time in the rain when you have to make a panic stop that you're really going to need that extra meat upfront. Maybe hit up dlove or Villain281H, and ask what they think.
I've never ran skinnies but I see what you mean... that one time you need it, your not gonna have it and your gonna regret it. Hell, it could mean life or death but most wouldn't even consider it that important. All I know is a lot depends on the driver but there's only so much you can control.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:53 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have ran skinneys for the past 2 years, i dont think its a good idea for a dd, brakes are worse, turns must be slow, they are bad in any rain, and they dont ride as good as a street setup, if iys just something you drive on the weekends or just for racing by all means go for it, but i have had some close calls that i wouldnt have had on a street setup
Old 12-28-2011, 06:43 AM
11 Second Club

I have never ran the volkswagon tires up front. I ran mt sportsman SR'S on 15" rims and now run M&H 185/55R's up front. pay the money for a good tire you will be fine. Run a POS tire and it may cost you in the end. And again, for what I do skinnies are fine. I don't do much highway driving and only put a couple thousand miles a year on the car. If I was doing tons of highway driving, rain, etc, then no I would run a wider tire.

Last edited by OIF1VET; 12-28-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:57 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ for sure, **** you can even ask me about my close calls with a drag setup, 3 times i was damn luckey, i dont advise anyone dd on a drag setup, yes you can do it but you just have to be very careful, and honest even if your careful crap can happen
Old 12-28-2011, 07:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
^ for sure, **** you can even ask me about my close calls with a drag setup, 3 times i was damn luckey, i dont advise anyone dd on a drag setup, yes you can do it but you just have to be very careful, and honest even if your careful crap can happen
Yea, after re-reading the original post, I would say no on DD. I was just thinking about how I use my car.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 424 Likes on 336 Posts

I dd my car some on the skinnies. I say some because I have 3 different set's of wheels for it. I had the Sportsman bias tire on it which sucks pretty bad but that's what came on my wheels when I got them. I can't say thre is any real problem with them but they're not as fun as my 18's are.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been there done that, prefer at least a 6" wide wheel for regular street driving.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
i have ran skinneys for the past 2 years, i dont think its a good idea for a dd, brakes are worse, turns must be slow, they are bad in any rain, and they dont ride as good as a street setup, if iys just something you drive on the weekends or just for racing by all means go for it, but i have had some close calls that i wouldnt have had on a street setup
Yea I already am pretty careful in the rain, maybe I'll find a buddy with skinnies and 'try before I buy' , see if its something I'm willing to deal with. If I don't like it, I'll just stick with the stock sized fronts which are 245s I believe.

I have never ran the volkswagon tires up front. I ran mt sportsman SR'S on 15" rims and now run M&H 185/55R's up front. pay the money for a good tire you will be fine. Run a POS tire and it may cost you in the end. And again, for what I do skinnies are fine. I don't do much highway driving and only put a couple thousand miles a year on the car. If I was doing tons of highway driving, rain, etc, then no I would run a wider tire.
I do highway driving, rain or dry, it's my DD... so maybe I'll lean towards a normal sized tire.

Quick Reply: DD with Skinnies?