Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

New Wheels-Summit Drag Thrust

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro396
These are not a drag wheel. They're great for those who want "the look" but if you're looking for a real drag wheel that will gain you performance and be SFI legal at the track, these are not it.
.... is right.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HoLLo
I don't need a super lightweight wheel. Just something to mount some MEAT to. What would not be SFI legal about the wheels?
Because of their size, they should have a "shank" style lug nut. Instead these cheaper knock off wheels use a normal 60 degree conical seat lug nut. Some even use an offset washer to center the wheel on the hub. A drag wheel should always have a shank lug going ALL the way through the wheel seating to the hub, using nothing but the lug nut all the way through centering the wheel. There are other various technical reasons that they will not pass SFI 15.1 and 15.2 specs. You can mount a meaty tire on a 18x11 wheel. The idea of the drag wheel is to take advantage of the sidewall with the smaller diameter. Most of your traction comes from sidewall more than it does tread width. That's why cars are able to run 6s on a 10.5 tire. The real deal (Welds RT and RTS wheels, Bogarts, etc) will clear your factory brakes fine (where as these knock offs won't) they will be taking several hundreds of rotational pounds off your car (1 single static pound is 3.3xx lbs converted to rotational mass, many forget about this) and they will be SFI approved. If you're going to do it, save up the money and do it right IMO, unless of course you're just going for the look. But even then, who wants to be the guy at the local car show with the "fake" Weld wheels?
Old 02-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

I did have to do very little grinding on the rears.

Thanks for the compliments

This car is my DD so they are for looks, I did not plan on racing it.

Who whats to be the guy at the local car show with no window tint, looking like a fish bowl.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tailpipe
I did have to do very little grinding on the rears.

Thanks for the compliments

This car is my DD so they are for looks, I did not plan on racing it.

Who whats to be the guy at the local car show with no window tint, looking like a fish bowl.
Lol, I guess that was an attempt to make a crack at my car, because I gave some valuable information to a questioning member, and you must feel attacked by that. Please understand I meant no disrespect to your wheel choice. They are a good looking wheel for the price, and many people use them. I was just correcting his information in hopes of him making the correct purchase that best fits his needs.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Lol, I guess that was an attempt to make a crack at my car, because I gave some valuable information to a questioning member, and you must feel attacked by that. Please understand I meant no disrespect to your wheel choice. They are a good looking wheel for the price, and many people use them. I was just correcting his information in hopes of him making the correct purchase that best fits his needs.
Yes it was, But your car looks sick as hell even with out it, lol.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Best looking camaro i have ever seen! Ill trade ya a nice Pewter T/A
Old 02-24-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Because of their size, they should have a "shank" style lug nut. Instead these cheaper knock off wheels use a normal 60 degree conical seat lug nut. Some even use an offset washer to center the wheel on the hub. A drag wheel should always have a shank lug going ALL the way through the wheel seating to the hub, using nothing but the lug nut all the way through centering the wheel. There are other various technical reasons that they will not pass SFI 15.1 and 15.2 specs. You can mount a meaty tire on a 18x11 wheel. The idea of the drag wheel is to take advantage of the sidewall with the smaller diameter. Most of your traction comes from sidewall more than it does tread width. That's why cars are able to run 6s on a 10.5 tire. The real deal (Welds RT and RTS wheels, Bogarts, etc) will clear your factory brakes fine (where as these knock offs won't) they will be taking several hundreds of rotational pounds off your car (1 single static pound is 3.3xx lbs converted to rotational mass, many forget about this) and they will be SFI approved. If you're going to do it, save up the money and do it right IMO, unless of course you're just going for the look. But even then, who wants to be the guy at the local car show with the "fake" Weld wheels?
Thanks for the good insight! and not a smartass remark like how most Tech members respond.

Those wheels sure look great though! I can't think of the name of the wheels that resemble these, but much more expensive. They have the 5 circles around the center style? What are they?
Old 02-24-2012, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Thanks for the good insight! and not a smartass remark like how most Tech members respond.

Those wheels sure look great though! I can't think of the name of the wheels that resemble these, but much more expensive. They have the 5 circles around the center style? What are they?
No problem! And you are thinking of Weld Racing's Magnum wheels.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Ive never yet seen a Drag wheel give me a performance edge ever, and ive been in the 10 sec zone to the 13 sec zone with Weld Drag Wheels to The cheap Summit Wheels.. Its all about preference on what you like and what looks best on your car, In fact my brother has been 9.80's on a set of Weld knock off's from summit thru the muff's full street trim in his 92 z28.. I'm buying a set of those Drag Thrust Wheels this weekend and ill post pics up when there on.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2boyss
Ive never yet seen a Drag wheel give me a performance edge ever, and ive been in the 10 sec zone to the 13 sec zone with Weld Drag Wheels to The cheap Summit Wheels.. Its all about preference on what you like and what looks best on your car, In fact my brother has been 9.80's on a set of Weld knock off's from summit thru the muff's full street trim in his 92 z28.. I'm buying a set of those Drag Thrust Wheels this weekend and ill post pics up when there on.
Well if he removed his Weld knock offs and put on a set of real Welds, he'd probably see some 9.60s. I've picked up anywhere from .2 to .3 on BOTH my Camaro and my Cobra switching to a set of Weld Alumastars.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Yeah right what are you smoking ? Scaled out they weigh almost identical. Thats ford logic at its best...
Old 02-27-2012, 07:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2boyss
Yeah right what are you smoking ? Scaled out they weigh almost identical. Thats ford logic at its best...
I'm not smoking anything, ET's do not lie. Your scale is broken. They don't weigh anywhere near the same. And you can't fake physics. If a Weld wheel is 4lbs lighter than a Summit wheel at static weight, then in the real world known as reality, when that wheel is on the vehicle spinning down the track, it is over 12lbs lighter per wheel, at rotational mass. And what are you, 13? I remember when I used to think Fords were gay. Then my ***** dropped and I learned to appreciate vehicles of all makes and models. Here's my Camaro (on a real set of drag wheels btw) if that makes my logic any more valid.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

wow. disappointed in tech today...
Old 02-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Teching In

That thing looks sick!
Old 02-27-2012, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

and +1 for magnums, they made a BIG difference on my car.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

[/QUOTE]

SKYJACKED!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tailpipe
SKYJACKED![/QUOTE]

Going 10s with a stock motor and small cam > Lowering springs
Old 02-28-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

everybody starts somewhere, we are not all at the pinnacle of income and taste just because we are online together

i remember scrambling for 50 bux to get som salad shooters to put nittos on.. cuz my stock formula just had too much power to hook up with 'regular' tires.

wheel weight doesnt seem to affect my car much, but then again the rest of the thing is heavy as F already. 60' time and horsepower seem to have a much more noticable effect

ive run an 8.7 on a 1.35 60 on 17" all around and no other changes ran 8.6 on the welds. i would suspect similar results across the board. (provided you can match the 60')
pic w/ 17's vs sig pic

Last edited by MIGHTYMOUSE; 02-28-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 02-28-2012, 09:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car looks great OP!
Old 02-28-2012, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

X2 On the tire size and offset... PM me? This setup looks SICK and plenty streetable. I'd love to hear more.

Quick Reply: New Wheels-Summit Drag Thrust