Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Help!!! Broken Lugs!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Broken Lugs!!

Problem # 1. I have a stripped lug and a broken lug on the same wheel. Is it still safe to drive? Can I replace the lugs my self or do they need to be pressed in by machine? Question #2. My lug nuts up front keep working them selves loose? What gives? I re-tighten and re-tighten to toque specs but they still come loose?
Old 04-13-2004, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

Driving with 2 lug nuts missing on one wheel is pushing it. Yes you can replace them; the front are easier than the rear. Either way you will have to remove the calipers and rotors.
Try the front lug nuts on a different stud to check for stripping.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

It wouldnt be too safe to drive the car in this situation, Ive had a problem with the front driver side lug nuts getting too tight. They get to the point were I cant get them off. I even striped out a lug nut. I was able to take it up to the tire shop and they got it off for me. Ive never striped the lug so I cant say how to get if off but I would say to check things like the balancing when you do get it off, maybe it could cause the lug nuts to come loose?
Old 04-14-2004, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

My dad had 2 lugs broken off on his 350Z and we took it about 15 miles to the nissan dealer Just be careful and drive slow. Would locktite work on the lugs?
Old 04-14-2004, 12:23 PM
12 Second Club

I drove on three for a day. It scared the hell out of me.
You can replace the studs yourself, you just need to make sure the studs seat very well (read use a torque wrench or big breaker bar)