Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Wheel balancing question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel balancing question

Hey guys,
I just got my RTS wheels mounted and balanced by a tire shop. When I went to put them on I noticed that the weights the shop put on are right in the way of the brake caliper when the wheel turns. The weights are stick on style on the inside barrel of the rim, so I was wondering if it would screw anything up to simply move the weights over like 1 or 2" (looks like its just held on with two sided tape, lol)? I know nothing about balancing wheels so I wasn't sure how delicately the weights are placed.

Tried to post a picture but it won't attach. I'll try to post one up later if it would help. Thanks!
Old 06-07-2013, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts

As long as you don't move then radially around the rim you should be fine moving them out a short distance. If you do move them, you might want to make darn sure they stick well again when you are done. I once knocked some weights off and had hard time getting them reattached firmly enough to stay put. It might not be a horrible idea to return to the tire shop that did the work and ask them to remove them and install the same amount of weights in the proper locations.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know what kind of tape they use? Is it just industrial strength two sided tape?

I may take it back to the shop after all...just a pita removing those wheels lol. Better than them flying off though!

Quick Reply: Wheel balancing question