Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

replicas or OEM"s?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004 | 07:17 PM
Teching In

Default replicas or OEM"s?

I want to buy some black 17x9.5 Z06 wheels, but i have heard that both of these companies make them really heavy? i went to a local discount tire and they told me they could get all four wheels with nitto 555's for $1700. is this a good deal or should i wait or do i need to buy the real thing for weight issues?
Old 05-01-2004 | 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

i thought the backspacing on oem z06 wheels didin't fit f-bodys . maybe im worng...
Old 05-01-2004 | 09:09 PM
Teching In

All OEM Z06 wheels are not the same. The 2001 GM Z06 wheels were forged and say Alcoa inside. The later GM wheels were spun cast and say Speedline inside. They weigh about the same (within a few ounces for each size). The two versions do not look exactly the same if you put them side by side.

All aftermarket Z06 wheels are not the same. There are a lot of Chinese castings being passed around. A conventional casting usually weighs a lot more. It also usually costs a lot less. So you have to know who you are buying them from and if they are telling you the truth.

Without getting into the technocracy, forged wheels are almost always stronger pound for pound than an identical appearing cast wheel. When you see a fractured wheel at the track it is a pretty safe bet that it is cast. But if you are just going to the grocery store, it may not make much difference. They are all shiny once chromed.

GM never made a chrome Z06 wheel. So if you find a chrome GM wheel, somebody had it chromed. Or you can have a set chromed yourself. Runs around $500 plus change around here if you have to take them off the car.

The only way to get a chrome Z06 wheel that is forged is to start with a GM 2001 wheel and get it chromed or buy a set of the same that has been chromed. So it is kind of a personal decision as to what you intend to do with it and whether or not it is worth the cost or the time to find a set.
Old 05-02-2004 | 01:33 AM
Teching In

alright thanks bro...so what would be good or *legit* place to order some of the black Z06 wheels? and know that they are the real thing or even some good replica type that are still the same look but are not AS light but a lot lighter than the others?