Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

C6 wheels rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 wheels rubbing

Hello everyone I'm having an issue with my oem c6 wheels. The rear wheels are 19x10.5 and im running a 1.25 spacer. Whenever i hit a bump i can hear the lip of the passenger side quarter catching on the tire and it is starting to chew up the tire and if i have a passenger or anyone in the back its guaranteed if i hit the smallest bump il rub. Any ideas on how to fix this? Im going to roll the lip but i feel like its still going to rub or catch when i have people in the back. And i thought about an adjustable pan hard bar but sometimes it rubs on the driver side too but its unoften so i don't think it would fix that. Could i run a smaller spacer? Maybe a 1"? Im not opposed to bfhing the wheel well. Any ideas are appreciated. Also am going to get new tires soon as the treads also worn down any idea on the best size? They are currently 285s. I want the widest tire without rubbing. Thanks guys
Old 11-14-2014, 06:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I use to run the OEM C6 19x10 rims on all 4 corners with 1.25" spacers and I didn't have any problems on my '98 Z28. However, I was running 275/30/19's. I also had an adj. panhard bar to center the rear...AND I was lowered.

However, I did have a similar issue with some 18's I was running at one point and I didn't want to roll the fenders, so I bought a pair of SLP bump stop spacers and that cured that issue, but really cut down on the suspension travel and caused me to hit the bump stops with anything other than small bumps....made for a rough ride at times too...

Here's an eBay link of what I'm talking about (NOT mine, just a set to let you know what I'm talking about...)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161462480477?lpid=82
Old 11-16-2014, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks next weekend il finally give in and roll my quarters just been scared of wrinkling them as it was just repainted. Hopefully that will do it if not ill have to figure something out
Old 11-17-2014, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Watts link. Not cheap, but it will eliminate the side-to-side arc movement of the PHB rear suspension setup, and the axle will move strait up and down. That and roll the fenders properly (with a heat gun). You can play with the sizing of your rear bumpstops by adding that SLP spacer (but ride quality will suffer) or getting longer bumpstops.
What shocks/springs are you running? They will have a little to do with it, the better shock/spring combo the more controlled the rear suspension will be.

Quick Reply: C6 wheels rubbing