Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Staggering Wheels / Tires question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Staggering Wheels / Tires question

I want to upgrade the wheels and tires on my 99 Z28. I primarily wanted a staggered setup but there's still alot I'm unclear of.

When it comes to staggering, which is better?

Same rim diameter all the way around and more width in the rear, less width in the front?
or
Taller rim diameter in the rear and 1 inch shorter diameter in the front more width in the rear and less width in the front?

Incase its important my car is intended for DD use only. I'm not taking it to the strip or racing it primarily because its high mileage and my heavy dependency on it.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd go with the same wheel diameter all the way around. That way the rears will always have at least the same if not more sidewall height than the fronts. Which I think looks best!
Or...If you think you'd like the look you could also go with a reverse staggered set-up with 18s up front with 245/40/18s up to a 275/35/18s, and in the rear run 17s with tire ranging in size from 275/40/17 up to 315/35/17. This way you would always have more rear sidewall height even if the front and rear tires are the same overall height. Which means you'd have no possible ABS issues.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I'd go with the same wheel diameter all the way around. That way the rears will always have at least the same if not more sidewall height than the fronts. Which I think looks best!
Or...If you think you'd like the look you could also go with a reverse staggered set-up with 18s up front with 245/40/18s up to a 275/35/18s, and in the rear run 17s with tire ranging in size from 275/40/17 up to 315/35/17. This way you would always have more rear sidewall height even if the front and rear tires are the same overall height. Which means you'd have no possible ABS issues.
Ok. Same diameter all the way around and different width? wider rear? narrower front?

Also since you brought that up and possible ABS issues, will a narrow front and wider rear be possible to tune for to keep accurate speed / abs functionality?
Old 07-11-2015, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Ok. Same diameter all the way around and different width? wider rear? narrower front?

Also since you brought that up and possible ABS issues, will a narrow front and wider rear be possible to tune for to keep accurate speed / abs functionality?
if you want a little more of a drag racer look then keep the front wheels narrower.
You'll only have ABS issues if the front to rear tire height differs around 1" or more. Tire width has nothing to do with it; only height.

Here's a reverse staggered look:
Name:  17s3.jpg
Views: 5821
Size:  126.5 KB
Old 07-12-2015, 04:36 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

My personal preference is to have the same wheel diameter all-around but with a wider and slightly taller tire in the rear. For a while I had 275/40 up front and 285/40 in the rear, all in a 17", the 285s are 10mm wider and 4mm taller, so it was a subtle difference but noticeable to those paying attention. Anything around ~1/2" or less of height difference won't have any effect on the ABS at all.

For older cars without the ABS concern, I prefer a bit more height difference front to back. On my Nova I have 26.5" tall rear tires, and 25.6" tall front tires, so about 1" of difference and the rears are also 20mm wider. This is an ideal look to me.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

So I have more questions. Forgive my ignorance but I don't know much about wheels and I don't want to purchase something incompatible to what I am attempting to achieve.

My main reason for upgrading the wheels is I want to do the CTS Brake Upgrade which means I need atleast 18" in Diameter and 41mm offset in the front.

I was looking to go up to 19" but basically my question is, what is the recommended width for the front wheels? likewise the rear wheels?

Also if I need to use a spacer for the offset if I can't find a wheel with a 40mm offset or less (they're kind of hard to find), how can I determine how large of a spacer I will need without pushing the wheels outside of the wheel well?

Quick Reply: Staggering Wheels / Tires question