Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

opinion needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default opinion needed

i know wheels are a personal preference and style, size, finish etc... but really looking for some insight.

here is my car.

silver is a tough color to make it pop. i would like to run a set 17's and no bigger then 10 or 10.5 rears. no drag set up's as of now.

should i go with ZR1's? Y2K's? maybe a set of dark grey center torque thrust wheels? factory WS6 wheels?

thoughts?
Old 10-20-2017, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

One of the biggest questions is what is your budget/how much are you willing to spend? Given the list you provided im guessing high end wheels are out?
I personally like all of what you have listed except the thin spoke Y2K vette wheels.
Ive always liked C4 Zr1's on 4th gens.

Also what about forgestar? Not really high end but more expensive than what you have listed now.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,287 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

On my silver '98 I have chrome C4 ZR1s and have been quite pleased with them over the years.

As you have a Pontiac, and if the goal was a stock-style wheel, my preference would be for a WS6 wheel ('96-'00 + CETA, RPO QF6 style) with a chrome finish. Chrome was not a stock option for that wheel (polished w/clear-coat was as close as they came to chrome from the factory), but SLP as well as at least one online wheel retailer used to sell this wheel in chrome (I bought them for my '00 WS6 back in ~2002.) Would probably be hard to find used in this finish, and not cost effective to have a stock set chromed. Chrome Firehawk wheels would be another interesting option but, again, you'd have to look for them used at this point.

Would you prefer a factory style wheel or something totally aftermarket? You mentioned Torq Thrust - they could be had in the TTM (chrome/gray/black) or TTII (polished/PVD) series for your application and within your preferred size range. I've also had TTII wheels on one of my 4th gens, I liked the style but hated the polished finish; I would get them in PVD, chrome or painted if I were to ever buy them again.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

If I had a silver Firebird, my choice would be silver ZR1's too! You can go 17x9.5 all the way around or even 17x11 or the rear if you want to put a fat tire in back! I've never been a fan of chrome on silver cars, but silver wheels on silver cars and white wheels on white cars have always been a favorite of mine!

Quick Reply: opinion needed