Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Lugnut style for gunmetal wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Lugnut style for gunmetal wheels?

Forgestar F14 gloss gunmetal, 2.5" ARP studs. Would rather have closed end nuts. I was planning on Gorilla black nuts, but are there others I should consider which would blend in better?

Mocked up with new hubs and used open end nuts below. The combined exposed threads plus the open end lug nut are 45mm in length.

Also, what's the purpose of the four black plastic rings that were included?

Last edited by JimMueller; 02-22-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

If you do a Google search you can find gunmetal color closed lug nuts and valves. I was planning on going that route if I commit to gunmetal wheels.

The plastic rings look like they're to fill the gap between the wheel hub opening and the factory hub. I don't have those wheels so I don't know if you need them or not.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bammax
If you do a Google search you can find gunmetal color closed lug nuts and valves. I was planning on going that route if I commit to gunmetal wheels.
I only want steel or Ti nuts, don't want to deal with seizing or galling associated with aluminum. Oh, didn't even think about the valves, but will probably opt for rubber simply for its flexibility against road debris.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Hopefully you see this before it gets hit for being a non sponsor link. I don't know if any site sponsors are selling nuts other than chrome or black so we may be safe lol

https://www.amazon.com/20-Piece-Metal-Nuts-Drive-Extension/dp/B075G56HSX
Old 02-25-2018, 12:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bammax
Hopefully you see this before it gets hit for being a non sponsor link. I don't know if any site sponsors are selling nuts other than chrome or black so we may be safe lol
Nice find, thanks!
Old 02-27-2018, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Those are hub centric rings. The wheels are made with a larger universal center hub diameter. Then these rings are spec'd depending on the car.

What wheel specs did you get ?
Old 02-27-2018, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

18x11, 45mm offset. Didn't realize these wheels were lug centric until after they arrived and they are heavier than I expected. Not sure I'm keeping them yet.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the wheels end up basically being hub centric when you use the rings that they came with. I know it's not quite the same, but anyone I've ever heard of having vibration issues with aftermarket wheels made it go away with hub centering rings like those, so they do work. And as far as I know, you're not going to get something truly hub-centric unless you buy an OEM wheel, or maybe something from OE wheels - almost everything aftermarket has a 'standard' larger bore size to fit different vehicles.

As for weight, what do they weigh? Weight of course is all relative - wheels in a big size are going to be heavier, and the difference in weight between a 'good lightweight' wheel and a regular one in the same size is still only going to be a few pounds. I think if you wanted to go lighter and hub-centric, it's not impossible, but it's also going to cost a lot more.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

I bought these for a combination of street and road course track days. On track days, the plastic spacers can melt and metal spaers can seize. Forgeline advises they make hub centric wheels.

Others who bought these same size wheels in the past say they weigh 20-22lbs, these weigh 24lbs. Forgeline heard that Forgestar had to add more material to them to make them stronger. If that's true, I wasn't aware of that until they were received.I'm okay paying more to get exactly what I want.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:57 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm gonna keep the wheels, not ecstatic about the situation but I'll live with them. After mounting a spare OEM rotor also, the inside depth of the lugnuts needs to be at least 40mm. The aftermarket BBK I'm planning would have the rotor holes be 6.5-8mm deep, so I'm still looking at a minimum of 45mm for a closed end lugnut.

Because the wheels are heavier than what was advertised (I'm told they added material due to failures and I have the new design), I may offset them with lightweight lug nuts. But the ones I'm looking at require a 17mm 12-point socket, and I'm having trouble locating such a socket in a non-marring design.

Last edited by JimMueller; 03-10-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You're getting bent out of shape over 8-10lbs ? If you are at that level and think it matters that much, then why were you looking at budget wheels to begin with?
Old 03-13-2018, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by No Juice
You're getting bent out of shape over 8-10lbs ? If you are at that level and think it matters that much, then why were you looking at budget wheels to begin with?
​​​​​​
It's sprung rotating weight, which is the best weight to remove. Sam said his weighed 19.9lbs on a shipping scale. So my expectation was that my wheels would not weigh an extra 4lbs each.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received the lugnuts, this is a tared set of 20. They are 20mm tall.