Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Bought Used Chrome Wheels-pitting, Fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bought Used Chrome Wheels-pitting, Fixable?

Just bought a set of used chrome Firehawk wheels for a decent price. The faces are in very good shape but the insides show nasty pitting. I have stripped all the pitting crome, sanded, and painted the inside of the rim black.(where you look through the spokes) My thinking is that they get dirty inside anyway with brake dust and now it is an even gloss black color. The 2 wheels that I finished are done look beautiful , here's my question. Will it be easier to have these wheels rechromed in the future or should I send off the older, silver painted wheels that I will take off now? Does anyone know basically what it costs for a quality rechrome? Should I just strip the painted wheels, sand and polish to near chrome finish? Ideas? suggestions? Thanks for helping.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Banned

ANYBODY?? I fell neglected, I might commit suicide...
Old 01-12-2005, 04:12 PM
Banned

Unhappy

GOOD BYE WORLD...
Old 01-12-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No need to kill yourself . . . the question is more what do you want? If your painted silver ones are now use less, no beeing chrome. Have those dipped. It will be much easier to prep a un chromed wheel over a chromed one . .

But if you waht to keep the painted ones there have to be places that re-chrome wheels . . .
Old 01-12-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

I talked to one shop and it was $200.00 per rim to re-chrome. I didn't get any other quotes so $200/rim might be high or it might be cheap
Old 01-13-2005, 11:00 AM
Banned

Smile

Thanks for the replies! The medication has calmed my nerves. 3 of the rims have great faces but the 4th is full of scratches. I might buy one new or used rim in good shape and paint the inside black like the rest. For the painted I don't think I'll chrome them. I most likely will strip, sand and polish those. Anyone want to but some painted firehawk wheels for cheap?
Old 01-13-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

what about those painted firehawk rims???? if your sellin them im kinda interested...pics?
Old 01-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Banned

Smile

Originally Posted by CATCH ME
what about those painted firehawk rims???? if your sellin them im kinda interested...pics?
I have a digital camara but I don't know how I would load them through internet. When I bought the car all 4 rims had minor curb rash. The two worst ones I replaced with two new rims. It doesn't matter if someone is going to polish them, because the orbital sander will make short work of any rash in about 3 mins per wheel. I will polish them- or sell them cheap to someone who has the same plan.

Last edited by FIREHAWK#608; 01-13-2005 at 02:56 PM. Reason: for the @#$% of it
Old 01-13-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

what is your idea of cheap??? also its easy to load the pics onto the net. with the digital camera load them onto your comp. then when you r posting the reply go to manage attachments and load them up. its easy to do
Old 01-14-2005, 12:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CATCH ME
what is your idea of cheap??? also its easy to load the pics onto the net. with the digital camera load them onto your comp. then when you r posting the reply go to manage attachments and load them up. its easy to do
My idea of cheap is $250 for the set. Has 2 new wheels and 2 with minor curb rash. Buyer can pick up or pay for shipping. I know that there is a utility that came with the camera, but I need to read the instructions. The bad part is that I don't have a computer at home, I use the one at work. No big rush to sell them. I might post them on the sale board or not. If somebody tells me that they'll hand over 250.... I'd let them go and start saving for FI and forget about polishing them. No biggie either way.

Quick Reply: Bought Used Chrome Wheels-pitting, Fixable?