Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Mickey thompson query

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mickey thompson query

I am trying to get a pair of slicks for the track and prolly a street race or two. I was recommended to stay with the 17 inch setup so I won't mess with my gears. So I was recommended ny their techs, Mickey Th., to get the 26x11.5x17 part #3743 but then I called the east coast tech and he said get the et street radial which is 275/4017 part #3743R. Now I am confused. I only want to use those tires for a race or a 1/4 run. which ones should I get?
Old 04-12-2005, 01:30 PM
10 Second Club

First of all whether you go 15", 16", or 17" your gearing won't be affected as long as you stay with a 26" tall tire. Both tires above are 26". In most cases the ET radials have been working just as good if not better than the ET streets at the track. I would reccomend the the ET radial because the car will be more stable at speed and also, if you happen to get caught in the rain coming or going to the track they won't be as bad as an ET street (it'll still be a fun ride though). I just picked up the ET radials and they are badass, I can't wait to try them. Only thing that sucks is they are heavier than an ET street, my 275/50/15 are 28-30lbs a peice.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
First of all whether you go 15", 16", or 17" your gearing won't be affected as long as you stay with a 26" tall tire. Both tires above are 26". In most cases the ET radials have been working just as good if not better than the ET streets at the track. I would reccomend the the ET radial because the car will be more stable at speed and also, if you happen to get caught in the rain coming or going to the track they won't be as bad as an ET street (it'll still be a fun ride though). I just picked up the ET radials and they are badass, I can't wait to try them. Only thing that sucks is they are heavier than an ET street, my 275/50/15 are 28-30lbs a peice.

I'm pretty sure that I won't get caught in the rain because I always watch out for it. but then again nothing in life is certain. so you recommend the et radials? I guess you are right but are teh 15's better than the 17's well at least tell me why you got the 15's?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

I had alot of reasons for switching to 15" Prostars. The biggest was weight, saved over 50lbs in the front and about 20lbs in the rear. It should also be easier for me to 60' on the 15s with all the extra sidewall, plus the car isn't a true daily driver anymore so I figured I'd just run Prostars all the time and dump my power steering (I think I've been bit by the go fast bug). But in your case I think 17" ET radials will work just fine. I got plenty of good 60's with my 17" wheels running Nittos. If I had of kept my 17" wheels I would have expected low 1.50s if I switched to the ET radial.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

i suggest the et radials. i have had streets on my car and they dont hold a candle to the radials. also if u drive car alot on street the radial will b better cuz of the construction. its basically an et drag wrapped around a radial tire. thus the name. just my 2 cents