Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Slice in Tire's Sidewall: Is it safe to Drive on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 03:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slice in Tire's Sidewall: Is it safe to Drive on?

I just bought these ws6 wheels and stock f1 tires from a mid 01 WS6. They are the orginal tires- 275/40/17 Eagle F1s.

The guy I bought them from went up on a curb on one of the wheels, he slid the wheel down the curb and when he did,the curb put a slice in the sidewall and also bent the outer lip. I dont know if this quarter-sized slice in the sidewall is a big deal, or if its safe to drive on? Any help would be appreciated! (Pics Below)

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Slice in Tire's Sidewall: Is it safe to Drive on?-3-009.jpg   Slice in Tire's Sidewall: Is it safe to Drive on?-3-010.jpg   Slice in Tire's Sidewall: Is it safe to Drive on?-3-011.jpg   Slice in Tire's Sidewall: Is it safe to Drive on?-3-012.jpg   Slice in Tire's Sidewall: Is it safe to Drive on?-3-015.jpg  

Old 04-18-2005, 04:25 AM
Teching In

I would not drive on that tire, it has been cut down to the cords and could also be significantly weakened in that area due to internal damage from the impact with the curb. Better safe than sorry.

Brad
Old 04-18-2005, 06:01 AM
9 Second Club

I don't think it's into the cords looks like it's more superficial than anything but I can't disagree with Brad, definately better safe than sorry. Get a set of drag radials and keep the extra tire as a spare.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

I have almost the same sized cut in my r/f tire. HAd 2 people look at it and tell me it won't be a problem?

It's snot down to the cord, but it does take away a significant amount of the rubber from that one spot, which in my opinion, would weaken the sidewall there.

I teach pursuit driving and push my ride pretty hard through the corners. New tire going on Tuesday.

Thank God for road hazard warranties.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well and the other thing is the tires are five years old so I guess Ill throw on the GS D3s and call it a day. Thanks for the helpful responses.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Its not into the cords, but you can see where it has been cut down past the first layer with the impression of the cord on the inside of the cut.

Brad
Old 04-18-2005, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs down

.......I WOULDN'T unless you go veeeerrrry sssslllooowwww....... I just looked again,is that a dent in the rim???If it is,I would get that fixed also....

Quick Reply: Slice in Tire's Sidewall: Is it safe to Drive on?