Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

I Hate Welds!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I Hate Welds!!!!!

Well, i am feed up with my damn welds.I ground the **** out of my calibers so they would fit without spacers got them to go on without any problems. I ran them for a week riding around but they had full slicks on them and i didnt want a ticket. It was time to go to the track so i took the welds off long enough to ride to the track and when i got there i put them back on. Well they rubbed like **** and i even tried to switch them from side to side but they still rubbed. I had to run my street tires that day because of that ****. Now i have taken the slicks off and put ET street radials on them. I decided to go to the track today because of the cold front and try to break into the 7's for the first time. I want to run 7 something while im still a bolt on car so i decided to try my welds again. I got the grinder out and ground some more and even put a spacer on them but they still rub, WTF!! I had to run my heavy *** TTII"S w/ nittos instead and well i fell short of my goals once again. I ran an 8.08 @ 90.55 mph w/ a 1.90 60'. So thats it, they are gone and i am getting some BOGARTS> If anyone has a set for sale please pm me or email me @ mudgunner@aol.com Thanks Charles
Old 04-24-2005, 09:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol.......sorry to hear that man. can i ask what b.s. the welds have? and what size slicks? so many have run welds, myself included, without any issues once all the caliper grindind is done. personally, i ran 15x8's with 5.5"b.s. and M/T ET Streets that were 27x10.5x15. worked like a charm. you just have to take your time with the calipers to be sure you get every part. i sprayed them with black paint every time i retested the fit. grind, paint, mount the rim with 3 lugnuts, turn, and inspect the painted caliper. if there is any paint scraped off, that's where i hit it with the grinder again. as far as the tires, if you have the right b.s.'ing, can't imagine you rubbing unless you're trying to run W's!
Old 04-24-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the 15x8's w/ 5.5 bs. The tires on them now are the 235-60-15 et street radials. i dont understand how i rode them for a week with no problem and after i take them off and try to put them back on they rub. Oh well, im getting bogarts. ;-)
Old 04-24-2005, 11:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As Dave mentioned,

They will take some work to fit as you have done, you must have not ground enough in an area that needed more.

Welds are a good enconomy choice but do take some effort to make them fit. Some fit easier then others, it depends on the calipers and pads you are using. You need about .100 of an inch clearance between the caliper and the rim.

If you can't get it setup correctly or are really that tire of them, give me a call and I can help you out with our Bogarts we designed for your car. Just to let you know, I recommend a 10 inch rim, not an 8. With our setup, you will easily be able to run a 26x11.5 or 27x11.5 ET street or 275/50/15 radial.

Good luck,

Steve
SJM Mfg, Inc.
Bogart wholesale/distribution
sjmmanufacturing@verizon.net
Old 04-24-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Steve. I have a friend who is going to buy mine so it wont be long. I am going to order one of your line lock kits in the mean time. Are you still giving ls1 tech members a little better rate? thanks Charles
Old 04-25-2005, 10:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Charles,

Your welcome. Make certain if your friend whom is purchasing the rims takes the tires also, those tires are too small( width) for our F-body setups. You'll want to choose one of the tires that I suggested. (not sure what you have for the fronts)

The line lock kits are at sale pricing. The B-001 kits are my recommendation, at ~125.00, you can't beat the price for what it includes. Give me a call so I can set up what your need and discuss opportunities for you.

Steve