Old 06-07-2005 | 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

Default Which grips better?

OK which grips better?

Mickey Thompson's
ET Street Radial
or
ET Street

They make an ET street in 26.00 x 11.50-17 which fit a 17x9 perfect, it is a 275/40-17 actually.....

Well which will grip better? This is purely a track tire, will never see the street......I have heard cars do better with the drag radial? :dunno:
Old 06-07-2005 | 12:22 PM
FormerVendor

First and foremost, pick a drag rim for your setup i.e. 15's. If purely drag, then certainly choose an ET drag tire. You also need skinnies. Don't mix a radial front runner with a drag rear setup.

Choosing a Bogart drag setup with the above choices can easily drop your ET's ~.2 of a second, a worthwhile mod. Not only will your 60 ft times be better, but you will have a shorter stopping distance due to less rotational mass.

The radials are nice; there isn't anything wrong with them. I receive many questions regarding which a customer should choose with our Bogart’s. Personally, I would choose an ET street or ET drag a drag radial.

When considering which tires to choose...traction is important, I feel both the radial and et street are comparable traction...the ET street wins though on rotational mass and may have a slight edge on traction. Many overlook the issue of rotational weight advantages. The ET radial is ~8-10 lbs heavier per tire...big differences there over the other choices. Your 17 inch rims are very heavy not to mention where a large part of the mass is situated.

For the folks considering the drag radial over an ET street...don't expect either to last more then a season...tires are consumables...especially drag tires.

If you don't want to consider drag wheels/tires for your setup, you're going to be struggling with traction quite a bit. Do it once and do it right :-), you'll be happier in the end. If our Bogart's aren't in your budget, then choose a set of economy weld prostar's or draglites...you'll have to do quite a bit of modifications to get them to work since they aren't made specific for your application but they may fit your budget better.

Last edited by steve10; 06-07-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2005 | 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well from what little I know, the ET Streets should grip alot better than the radials. The reason is that the streets have a sidewall that will "wrinkle", because there are no steel belts in them and I beleive the "patch" is a softer compound too. However if you go with the streets you SHOULD use a tube, these are'nt tubeless tires, If you go to there website, i'm pretty sure, they recomend a tube for these. I know a guy that ran them without tubes, and you can do that, but I don't think it's recoomended.
Old 06-07-2005 | 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

Actually it is the only size of ET Streets that are tubeless....
Old 06-07-2005 | 02:10 PM
FormerVendor

Running tubes can be a personal choice. Many (most) don't seem to use them, they will increase rotatation weights quite a bit. Since race tires are made from lighter materials, leakage can occur over time. On the street, the tire will be a bit more stable due to side-wall support. Another area of tire leakage are the actual wheels...some drag wheels inherently leak due to their construction. Our Bogart's are guaranteed leak free.
Old 06-07-2005 | 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put tubes in my 27" et streets because of a nail. Never running without them again because they make it way more stable at speed and only weigh a couple of lbs.
wrinkle walls will always hook better than a radial or else they would quit selling them.