Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

best auto-x tire???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default best auto-x tire???

what's the best dot approved autocross tire out there, or the top three?? need help fast, thanks...
Old 07-06-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are looking for a street tire setup, not full slick then I would say BFG G-Force KD's rock (I used them for auto-xing a while ago), Nitto 555's work ok (I used them too), Goodyear GS-D3 or Supercars, Bridgestone Potenza.

For slicks I would go Kuhmo.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-06-2005, 12:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Kuhmo V710 absolutley unreal grip.

Have also heard that the Hoosier Autocross tire is very good. I know alot of people that had Kuhmo Victoracers went when they saw how well a couple of us did on the V710 though.

If you want to win on a DOT R compound tire this is it.

Rampant
Old 07-06-2005, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

GS-D3s suck nuts!

Go with Kumho, you are not gonna hit the wallet hard at all, and they are one of, if not THE best tire in it's class. Toyo also has a tire called the RA-1. It is used by the NASA racing league, and is excellent from what my buddy has said. It is similar to the NT-555 Extreme II by Nitto, but has a different tread pattern, and is used widely among racers.

Do not get anything Goodyear. My father is a Manager for Kauffman tire, and he told me the worst tire you can by is a Goodyear. Well nest to Pirelli, they are overpriced and have little to nothing to show why. I had the GS-D3s when they first came out, and I had them for about 8 months. The tires grip AWESOME for the firt 5,000 miles or so, then, they just fall flat on their face for grip. They trick you into thinking it is the best tire on the market when really they suck. Not to mention I was still at close to full tread at the 5,000 mile mark, and they would not grip. The tires got eaten up guick after that.....they blew.

I then went with Mastercraft tires, and they were great all around, and now I am on to Cooper Zeons. I have had them for about a month, and I love them so far, but then again, almost every tire is awesome for the first few months......

Kumho V710

Toyo RA-1

Nitto NT555 RII

Cooper Zeon
Old 07-06-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

camaross, I found a place that I can get the cooper zeon 2xs tires, in the size I need, are they really that good, what would you compare them to?, the price is alot better for the coopers and I'm wondering if I might not get what I want out of them(performance)
Old 07-06-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

ok got a deal right now on a slightly used set of nitto 555 extremes, I've heard good and bad things but does anybody have real experience w/ them?
Old 07-06-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fusion is supposed to be very good for the money.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

imagine a GS-D3.....now add more grip and a stiffer side wall. gs-d3s have a sidewall like a dragradial! they suck ALL around as a tire!
Old 08-05-2005, 01:57 AM
TECH Regular

I am very pleased with my Cooper Zeon 2XS's in every way. Have had them on a little over a year/4,000 miles.

Note that there are big differences in the different types of Nitto 555's. The regular 555 is a great all-around tire in the Ultra High Performance category of tires. The 555DR is the Drag Radial version of the 555 with softer tread compound and softer sidewalls. Then the 555DRII has the softer tread compound of the DR with a stiffer sidewall similar to the regular 555 to be used for road courses, etc.

Note to all that overlook the details - the Nitto 555DR has a much lower speed rating than the Nitto 555DRII - 149 vs 168.

Check out both the Nitto website and the Cooper website for the details. I almost went with the Nitto 555DRII - but I figured I would get twice the mileage out of the Cooper Zeon 2XS's. They are also available at an unbelievably low cost. Good luck with your choice!
Old 08-05-2005, 06:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its too bad they dont provide tire data.. it would lay to rest who is the best performance wise and allow us to setup our suspensions accordingly
Old 08-05-2005, 07:37 AM
Launching!

V710's if you have a spare set of wheels to put them on, because they are not meant for driving around town. People who want to win events slap on a set of 710's.

Toyo RA-1's are better suited for open lapping/road racing, hence why they are the spec tire for a lot of classes, including CMC. Put them on a car against the same car with V710's and you'll be down by at least a second or more.

Yes, I autocross. Yes, I've driven on both these tires on my own car. I've also had Victoracers and Hoosier A3S03's (altho they were used). The Victoracers were grippy, but there is nothing like the V710's.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:49 AM
Staging Lane

I used to do "parking lot" autocross and found Hoosiers were awesome, but required a lot of scrubbing between sessions to get the melted-in gravel out.

I run Nitto Extreme II for the street and am doing "full track" autocross now. I am just running these Nitto AX tires for now while I am not competitive, but would not consider them a competitive tire for autocross. Hoosier or Victoracer only considerations when I'm ready to be more serious.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:52 PM
11 Second Club

All I know is my coopers have been on close to the same amount of time I had my GS-D3s and my Coopers are STILL full tread.....

My previous post goes in order of most extreme to least extreme....if you are a daily driver and you want a solid tire, the Coopers are great, but for serious competiton they are a joke. I would say the best all around is the Nitto Extreme II. But the slight step up in performance form that is the Toyo RA-1, which is the official tire of the NASA racing league.....and thanks to me, they order these tires directly from Kauffman Tire. (My father is the manager at a local warehouse) If you are in the south east and want these tires, please order them from Kauffman and say You heard about it from Mark DiOssi, Manger of the Tampa Warehouse's son.

But the Nitto is a much betetr tire for a daily driver since the RA-1 was never really considered as a street tire, but as a road race radial....

~Kevin
Old 08-05-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've got Nitto 555's on my street wheels and they don't even come close to comparing to my Nitto 555RII's. The RII's just grip like the car is on rails and offer great wet/dry daily street driving.
I am still a n00b to Auto-X, been to 4 events so far, 3 with my RII's, and one with Potenza RE71 street tires since the event was 2 hours away and they were caling for rain.
here is a video from 2 weeks ago with the RII's.
http://www.transamws6.com/video/manny-acu4.wmv

Quick Reply: best auto-x tire???