Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

lost the special lock key for lug nuts

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lost the special lock key for lug nuts

I've lost the special lock key to my wheel lug nuts. Can i get another from Pontiac?
Old 07-27-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

there should be a baggy that it was in with a paper that shows you how to order a new one. I went to an tire place and had the rip those off, damn keys where a pain
Old 07-27-2005, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

If you really can't get them off, get a 12 point socket of that is just a hair too small for that lock lug. Hammer it on STRAIGHT. Get it as far down as you can. Then, twist it off. To get the lug out of the 12 point socket, hit it with a hammer on the ground (the socket), after a few hit it usually pops right out. If not, you'll have to buy a new socket, but I've done this hundreds of times in my shop and I've never had a problem, I've only had to buy new sockets a couple of times. Even cheap ones work from like pep boys or sears, those 'companion' tools. GL.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

do just like prelude said. same thing happened to me. no key, no number or whatever to order a new one. take a deep well impact socket that is a little smaller than the lug nut and smack it w/ a hammer a few good times. i used a impact gun to get mine off. it took about10 seconds per lug nut! tapping the socket on the ground a few times didnt work for me. they were in there too tight. so what i did was took the socket and put it in a vise upside down. then take a screwdriver that fits down in the socket and beat the lug nut back out. works like a charm. good luck
Old 07-28-2005, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

btw- i used a 6 point socket. dont know if they work any better or worse than the 12's
Old 07-28-2005, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by prelude00782
If you really can't get them off, get a 12 point socket of that is just a hair too small for that lock lug. Hammer it on STRAIGHT. Get it as far down as you can. Then, twist it off. To get the lug out of the 12 point socket, hit it with a hammer on the ground (the socket), after a few hit it usually pops right out. If not, you'll have to buy a new socket, but I've done this hundreds of times in my shop and I've never had a problem, I've only had to buy new sockets a couple of times. Even cheap ones work from like pep boys or sears, those 'companion' tools. GL.

Yup I did that once and it worked out just fine.