Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Question On SLP Chrome Rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Question On SLP Chrome Rims

I just took delivery on my '01 SOM SS M6, which has the factory 10 spoke rims chromed by SLP. I couldn't be happier, but (unfortunatly there is a but)the rims look really bad, all of them are cracked and pitted. No road or curb rash just an issue with the chrome plating. I know the car is a few years old but it was a collector who had it and always kept it clean and stored. The car had 7,500 miles. I had to drive it 1,000 to bring her home.

Anyone think that SLP will replace the rims due to the extreamly low mileage?? I know I could get a GM warranty which replaced my buddies rims but I doubt they would replace an existing problem.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Besides the fast that the SLP warranty is expired, SLP no longer sells the chrome 10 spoke wheels.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wouldnt hurt to give them a call. The low mileage will definately weigh in your favor though. What they told me about is that the people who are technically responsible are SLP Engineering, a division that does not exist anymore. You would have to go with SLP Performance Parts, a different division. Thats the response i got, plus my car is out of factory warranty.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought mine new from SLP, the car was a weekend pleasure car that never saw rain or the elements and the wheels were allways clean. Within seven months the inside of the wheels were peeling like crazy and the clear coat on the center caps was also peeling. They would only warrenty the face of the wheels, not the inside.

Screw SLP!
Old 08-10-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

I don't think they will really warranty wheels since you may be driving through a rock field for all they know. It's almost like saying the car got scratched so you want it repainted for free. Get some polished wheels if you don't like the peeling
Old 08-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Launching!

i understand maybe with a car with more miles but 7,500 damn. The inside of all 4 rims are completly gone and that's why i think the face is looking so bad. the center caps are perfect though. I will give SLP a call and see what they could do for me. The outcome will make or break them of a customer who is in need of a lot of parts, mats for floor and rear deck, lid, smooth belows, lt, etc.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

It doesn't matter how many miles are on the car, it's over 4 years old. You're **** out of luck. Yes the chrome may be peeling, but it clearly states in your SS/SLP owners manual that the warranty only lasts 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. From my dealing with SLP, they will not help you, nor should they really.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Thanx backinblack for your encouraging remarks! I understand how warranties work! Just thought I would get some opinions on what I could do, again seeing how the car has been stored clean on a lift in a a/c & heated garage, and barely driven I was hoping I may get lucky and get help from SLP, which I already figured would be difficult...
Old 08-11-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

I didn't mean to be a dick, but you sounded like you expected them to give you something for nothing. I see it all too often in my line of work. Anyways, I believe SLP stopped selling the chrome 10 spokes, so your only other option is to have them rechromed or find a used set off ebay or something. IIRC there was a recent post on one of the f body boards where someone had this exact same problem and was under warranty. SLP basically told them, sorry, we dont have the wheels anymore so you're fucked. Whatever you do, don't talk to Art, he's too lazy to help you out.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Ok, (no longer being sarcastic) thanx for your help. I wasn't trying to get free ****, I get enough of that too! I just wanted to see what I could do. The only problem with the car is the rims, other than that the car is immaculate. So they are going to but the hell out of me! GM replaced my buddies under their warranty, so I am going to talk to chevy instead of SLP, to see if I can purchase a used car warranty and then replace them.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I optioned the same wheels on my SS and I love the way they accent my silver car. SLP simply went cheap on the chrome job on the inside of these wheels. Compare the inside of the wheel to the nice chrome on the outside. Mine started pitting and flaking on the inside within a few months. SLP would have just replaced the wheels with new ones that would do the same thing. I then pulled all the wheels and POR15'd the inside's of the wheels to stop any further corrosion and to keep the front chrome from flaking off. Turned out awesome and I no longer have any worries.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Launching!

I not understanding what you did to the rims?? What is POR15'd??
Old 08-13-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BackinBlack02SS
It doesn't matter how many miles are on the car, it's over 4 years old. You're **** out of luck. Yes the chrome may be peeling, but it clearly states in your SS/SLP owners manual that the warranty only lasts 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. From my dealing with SLP, they will not help you, nor should they really.

My wheels were just under seven months old and they were still selling them at the time. The wheels also had approx 500 miles on them, the car was a weekend cruise/show car. The inside of the wheels were still clean and had never even been in the rain and you could peel the chrome off in sheets.
You say they shouldnt warrenty this, If I lived a little closer I probably would have thrown one of them through there front window.