Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

wheel stud repair help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 01:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel stud repair help!

hey guys the guy at goodyear over torqued one of my studs and when I went to rotate my tires it was all bad. tried to rethread it but that wasnt gonna happen. but anyways my question is when replacing the wheel stud do i have to take the axles off or can it be done with them still o?, cuz from the looks of it, it seems like im going to half too. and question 2 will it hit the tow pin? any help would be apreciated and sorry if this is in the wrong forum. thanks
Old 08-11-2005, 06:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have TCS you can pull off the sensor at the wheel and pound the studs out through there. If you just have ABS, the axles have to come out.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced three studs on the rear of my '99 V6 without removing the axle shafts. That did not have TCS. You can get studs that are about a 1/4 in. shorter. Get a different nut without external threads to put them back on and use the flat side of the nut against the axle flange. There is a big hole in the flange that you put the stud through and rotate the axle until you get to the hole for the stud.