Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Front runners on the street....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front runners on the street....

how do they wear compared to a regular tire? are they a super soft compound or what? how well do they hold up?

Blake
Old 09-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by coop5885
how do they wear compared to a regular tire? are they a super soft compound or what? how well do they hold up?

Blake

I don't know but I've heard not to run skinnies on the street. It's not safe...
Old 09-04-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard not to run them on the street also. Some of the major wheel companies will tell you the same thing. The skinnies are designed for track use. They did an article in Muscle Mustangs a year or two ago and a rep that I believe was from Weld told them that they don't recommend them for street use due to the fact that the wheel may "fail". Also a narrow tire on the front leads to handling problems. I still see a few people around running them on the streets. The choice is up to you of course but I wouldn't take the chance for minimal gains.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

I wouldn't run a track only front runner tire on the street. They are pretty soft and can puncture easily. Go with a 165/R15 radial or the M/T Sportsmans, the 8 ply Sportmans are heavy and pricy when compared to 165R15s though.

As for driving on skinnies, most 3.5" wheels are not "street legal". However, there are plenty of us that run around the streets on them. My car still handles fine for street driving with them even with no front swaybar. I even had to cut the wheel on the highway to avoid a peice of cord wood that fell out of the back of a truck, the car handled the situation suprisingly well.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

I drive mine with skinnys & no front sway bar all the time. Im use to the car so i cant say that handling is bad. I wouldnt say the tires hurt the handling as much as the sway bar gone (you can feel the car lean around corners). The main problem is that since i have a taller rear tire than the front it screws the abs up (reduces braking power). It will make you a more cautious driver.