Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Kind of weird question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kind of weird question...

I recently began hearing a noise that sounds like I have big mudder tires. (I started noticing it after a very heavy rainfall) It sort of sounds like a drone and it does get higher as the speed increases. My wheel does not pull or shake at higher speeds so I am assuming that its not the wheel bearings. It occurred to me that I hit a very large pot hole earlier in the week. I didn't see it becuase the whole parking lot was covered with water from the late night sprinklers causing the pot hole to become hidden. It was less than 5 miles per hour. I didn't really notice the noise until a few days later but it may have started that night. I recently took the two front rims off because I couldn't remember which one had hit the pot hole. The front left did seem to be a little wobbly and I had it balanced again for ss's and g's. Well I can still hear the noise when I drive. I need to put the spare on this weekend to see if it is the wheel making the noise but I have a few questions. These wheels by the way are 18X10 Intro Vistas. My question is can the business be held responsible for the pothole? Can I force them to pay because of the pothole? Or is that a city thing? This was in a parking lot like I said and not a main road. It was in front of Big O tires. I know that I have heard on here before that people have gotten money from the city for potholes that damaged their rims. The other question is if my rim is slightly bent can it be fixed or will replacement be the only option? Thanks for reading this mess.

Last edited by BORN2LOSE; 09-09-2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wheel bearing. A bent rim would "pulse"
Old 09-09-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check to make sure your tires aren't cupped, a wheel bearing noise would change with steering inputs usually.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rocketman442
Check to make sure your tires aren't cupped, a wheel bearing noise would change with steering inputs usually.
Yeah, the stearing hasn't changed. What do you mean by cupped? Deflated? The tires are pretty much inflated to the right pressure I believe. I will check though. I just filled them not too long ago.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nobody has ever bent a rim and had it paid for?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BORN2LOSE
Nobody has ever bent a rim and had it paid for?
Nope, I place that into the **** happens catagory . . . .

Could the business be heald laible? Possible, but do they own or rent the site? Is there a management co, that is to take care of the site?

How much is a bent wheel worth? Say $600?

So how much time would it take you to recoupe the $? A day? More?

So you need to determine how much is you time worth? Lets just say your time is worth $50 an hour (base pay, health insurance, taxes etc). Using that value if you spend more than 12 hours fighting the company you'd break even . . . . .

Just another way to look at it.