Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

? on Evo backspacing & offset after widening

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ? on Evo backspacing & offset after widening

i am seriously thinking on getting a set of 19' Evos but would like to widen the rears to 11 inches.
my question is what backspacing and offset should i order the rear pair so that after they've been widened i wont need to use spacers?
other question i have is if i get them in hyperdark are they gonna have to strip them in order to do the welding then i have to have them repainted?

thanx
Old 12-20-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evos only come in one offset: +38mm. There is no stripping of paint on the face of the wheel at all involved on a widening job. A 9 inch Evo would be the ideal starting width because at a 38mm offset, the lip of the wheel sits just about as far outward as you'd wanna go without sticking out too far, which will give you the most possible clearance towards the inner fenderwell to widen. At the least, you'll have to do the BFH mod, but due to manufacturing variances you may also possibly have to do some minor shaving of your bumpstops, but not likely.

www.weldcraftwheels.com
Old 12-21-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

i have chrome zo6 replica's on their now, can you tell me what the offset is on them.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Give me the width and backspacing measurements and I'll calculate it for you. Most aftermarket Z06's come with either a +50mm or a +56mm offset.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
Give me the width and backspacing measurements and I'll calculate it for you. Most aftermarket Z06's come with either a +50mm or a +56mm offset.
which offset (50mm or 56mm) would put the outside edge of the wheel/tire closest to the outer fender? my current combo fits really well with little gap between the fender but it does rub in the inner fender area near the bump stops. i dont think i mentioned ive got 10.5's in the rear with 285 nittos on them.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1999 SS
which offset (50mm or 56mm) would put the outside edge of the wheel/tire closest to the outer fender? my current combo fits really well with little gap between the fender but it does rub in the inner fender area near the bump stops. i dont think i mentioned ive got 10.5's in the rear with 285 nittos on them.
The 50mm offset wheels sit further outward than the 56's. The rule about offsets is that as long as you keep the wheel width the same, the lower the offset goes, (numerically), the further out the wheel sits.

If you're having inner fenderwell rubbing issues, it sounds like you probably have the 56mm offset. Did you do any BFH'ing?

Also, wasn't your post orginally about seeing of widened Evo's would fit? Where happened to that?
Old 12-23-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
The 50mm offset wheels sit further outward than the 56's. The rule about offsets is that as long as you keep the wheel width the same, the lower the offset goes, (numerically), the further out the wheel sits.

If you're having inner fenderwell rubbing issues, it sounds like you probably have the 56mm offset. Did you do any BFH'ing?

Also, wasn't your post orginally about seeing of widened Evo's would fit? Where happened to that?
i have the z06's on my car now but am planning on putting them on my new car and putting the evo's on the camaro that currently has the zo6's.
my question original was about the evo's and i appreciate the feedback.
if i understand you correctly; it would work fine to get the 19' evo's in 9inch width if i plan on widening them to 11inches because they only come in a 38mm offset.
and by the way i havent done the BFH mod yet and i just realized i have spacers from murrays between the wheel and hub to space the wheel out farther.

thanks again