Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

staggered wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default staggered wheel question

i was considering throwing on some nitto 555r's on the rear of my SS...for some nice tire bling and a more sticky tire...
however...what do i do about rotating tires??

do people just not rotate??or do you have to take a tire off the rim...and then put it on the other and the same for the normal radial on the front???

ive always wondered this...seems like a PITA

THANKS!
e
Old 12-28-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Yea, I was considering putting a staggered setup on my car too and the answers I got were that if you have a different sized tire on the rear and have directional tires then you can't rotate and just have to make sure that they are balanced well and your alignment is correct on your car because if they start to wear unevenly your screwed and the only thing you can do is have them pulled from the rims and put on the other side. If you have different sized on the rear and don't have directional tires then you could always rotate them from side to side.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

yeah man thats what i figured..wow what a biotch
well..which tires are not unidirectional?? ****...didnt even know they made those anymore haha
i guess if my car is only a weekender...it shouldnt be THAT big of a deal..
thanks! lemme know
Old 12-28-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

Yea, it is a pain but I'm still probably gonna do it , I always have to do something stupid and have a new pain in my ***. Most of the tires I'm looking at are all directional so I don't know. I'm thinking of going with Nitto 555's in the rear and a cheaper tire up front like maybe the Sumitomo HTR-Z's. Yea, it would be a lot easier if it was a weekend warrior because you wouldn't have to worry as much about mileage and uneven wear. It's hard to find a sticky tire that wears decent and does alright in the rain. I've heard that the Nitto's have good all-round characteristics but I'm still gonna do some more research before I make my final decision. My tires are currently bald so within the next few months I'm gonna be buying something. Is your car a DD?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the truth. I run a staggered rim/tire setup as in sig below and all are unidirectional so only way to rotate them is unmount, swap rims, remount and balance. But it makes your car look so much more serious(if you're running wider out back). I would recommend it.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 93formto98T/A
That's the truth. I run a staggered rim/tire setup as in sig below and all are unidirectional so only way to rotate them is unmount, swap rims, remount and balance. But it makes your car look so much more serious(if you're running wider out back). I would recommend it.

absolutely...i agree 100% it brings the car to the next level, makes it look like it has huge ***** hahah

so yeah ill prob do it to
Old 12-29-2005, 07:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MountainMotor
Yea, it is a pain but I'm still probably gonna do it , I always have to do something stupid and have a new pain in my ***. Most of the tires I'm looking at are all directional so I don't know. I'm thinking of going with Nitto 555's in the rear and a cheaper tire up front like maybe the Sumitomo HTR-Z's. Yea, it would be a lot easier if it was a weekend warrior because you wouldn't have to worry as much about mileage and uneven wear. It's hard to find a sticky tire that wears decent and does alright in the rain. I've heard that the Nitto's have good all-round characteristics but I'm still gonna do some more research before I make my final decision. My tires are currently bald so within the next few months I'm gonna be buying something. Is your car a DD?

no its not a daily driver so thats the good part!..thats why im prob gunan go for it! as far as the rear tires go, i like the nitto 555r...the drag radials...just sitting still they look sick, they are $$ though..well see...
Old 12-29-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Yea, I'm planning on getting me some 17X8's and 17X10's. I'm looking at the 555R's for the rear of mine too. If it's not a DD then I'd go for it, you know you wanna . It does look a lot better and gives a bit more traction too especially with the Drag Radials.