Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

what skinnies to get

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what skinnies to get

im looking at the kumho powerstar 165/80r15 on tirerack, is that a good one to go with? is there a different size? its a 15x3.5in rim. how much will it lower the front end from stock tires? any place to get them cheaper($30 a piece on tirerack)?
Old 02-24-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Those are the same ones I had. I couldn't tell that they lowered the car very much. I got mine from the Tirerack. Probably the cheapest place you'll find them.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not use these radial tires (or futura or the like) for skinny wheels and on our cars. First, I don't believe they are designed for 3.5 wheels (specs vary from tire manufactures, I don't believe I've seen any mention for any wheel smaller then a 4.5), second, they are the incorrect diameter, third, none are speed rated for the speeds you are going.

Using these tires place a great deal of stress on the shells, a road hazard and just simply wrong. If your purchasing them if you don't know what else is available...below is my suggestion. *

If your purchasing them if you are trying to save money, save money elsewhere. If your purchasing them if you think they are lighter...they are not any lighter then a 1572 tire...many are the same weight as the 1573 tires.

*Use a 1573 mickey thompson tire if you want a DOT legal tire.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would have to say that I've seen those tires used a lot. I use the 195's on my truck and I daily drive it most of the time. But to each their own. I can understand if there is a safety problem or something if he's going to be driving 100 miles or so but i'm not sure. Your suggestion for the m/t tire would have both the safety and size issue covered. Price was sort of an issue for me so we went with the cheapies.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

I went with the cheaper ones b/c I was going to use the tires mainly on the highway. As far as speed rating, I thought I read somwhere that the manufacturers set the speed rating for tires at a certain mph over a 24hr. period of time, not just for a few seconds.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by steve10
Do not use these radial tires (or futura or the like) for skinny wheels and on our cars. First, I don't believe they are designed for 3.5 wheels (specs vary from tire manufactures, I don't believe I've seen any mention for any wheel smaller then a 4.5), second, they are the incorrect diameter, third, none are speed rated for the speeds you are going.

Using these tires place a great deal of stress on the shells, a road hazard and just simply wrong. If your purchasing them if you don't know what else is available...below is my suggestion. *

If your purchasing them if you are trying to save money, save money elsewhere. If your purchasing them if you think they are lighter...they are not any lighter then a 1572 tire...many are the same weight as the 1573 tires.

*Use a 1573 mickey thompson tire if you want a DOT legal tire.
hrm i did not know this. well im looking for a street tire, i didnt think m/t had a street tire im not looking for a drag tire. i will be driving on the highway and cruising a lot with this tire, so i figured the kumhos would be good. this will not be my daily driver, just a weekend/track car, but will see a lot of the street. i dont want a drag tire that is just barely DOT legal, i want a tire that is made for the street and can handle the rain in case im stuck on a rainy day. i also dont want to spend $200 on front tires i would rather run the cheapys unless they are dangerous. it says they are a TR rated tire, anyone know what that means?
Old 02-24-2006, 03:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hourang
hrm i did not know this. well im looking for a street tire, i didnt think m/t had a street tire im not looking for a drag tire. i will be driving on the highway and cruising a lot with this tire, so i figured the kumhos would be good. this will not be my daily driver, just a weekend/track car, but will see a lot of the street. i dont want a drag tire that is just barely DOT legal, i want a tire that is made for the street and can handle the rain in case im stuck on a rainy day. i also dont want to spend $200 on front tires i would rather run the cheapys unless they are dangerous. it says they are a TR rated tire, anyone know what that means?
If your cruising alot with a set of skinny tires which are NONE are street rated, I think if your concerned with handling or drivability, your considering the wrong wheel setup. If you want something that is the safest setup, then certainly you are looking in the wrong direction.

Stick with the tires that are rated for your cars abilities AND also meant for the size wheel you are going to be using. It's up to you, I'd be more concerned with loosing control of your vehicle if upon damaging your wheel from the incorrect tire or improper use of a tire. Not spending 150.00 more on a correct designed wheel for the application.

Front tires don't wear like rears generally do...getting a few seasons out of runners is generally not a problem...if you're only driving it like you mentioned, you probably will get more.

Good luck,

Steve