Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Tire Wear!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire Wear!

Just bought a 99 Z28 a few weeks back, knowing full well it needed tires very soon.

My question is...what does the wear pattern mean?

The car has a pretty bad vibration in the steering wheel between 50 and 70 mph. The car seems to track well, little or no play in the steering wheel. Car doesn't ride rough, shocks appear to be fine. Pretty bad cupping on the front tires, mostly on the outside part.

What do you all think?

Just get new tires and the wheels balanced? Or do I need an alignment? Or is it something worse?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

Did you check the air pressure? Or it could need to be balanced, also how many miles on
your tires and what brand of tires are you running on?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

It never hurts to get your wheels balanced if you have an unkown vibration problem. Its the cheapest thing and if that doesn't fix it at least you can cross out one of the possibilities. If your planning on getting new tires soon, you should balance them after you get the new tires though.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

I'll probably buy the new tires in a few weeks, get them mounted/balanced. If that takes care of the vibration, great! If not...well I hope it'll take care of it!

They are the factory Goodyears, I'd assume the 2nd set ever on the car (it has 60k miles, bought from original owner).