Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Bead Seal Problem with New Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bead Seal Problem with New Wheel

I had my C6 Z06 wheels installed about a month ago. I've taken the car out twice since then. Friday I took it out and it was pulling hard to the right so I pulled over and noticed my passenger side front tire was nearly flat. I filled it with air but when I got home I noticed it was almost flat again.

I figured I picked up a nail or something and took it to a tire place right down the street. They said the bead was leaking. They said they put some "bead seal" on and it seemed fine. Anyone ever have this happen to them? I'm concerned now that I may have a bad wheel. Anyone have any thoughts? The tire is still holding air but it has been sitting since the repair. I'm planning on taking it out today. If it goes flat again what do you guys suggest? Should I contact TomZWheels where I bought the wheels?
Thanks!
Old 04-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i work in a tire store ,normally we use bead seal on older alloy wheels ,which are not coated on the inside which causes them to pit due to road salt's ,water building up in the tires over time, etc..factory alloy wheels are the worst for this ..the pitting will cause tiny pinholes were the rim bead meets the tire and cause leak's what we do at our store is buff the wheel down with a ro-loc wheel{scotch-brite}pad for a die-grinder then apply the bead sealer and that fixes the wheel for a year or so ,like anything the bead sealer will dry up and wear away so it will need to be reapplyed over time again..i can't say your wheel is bad ,but having to put bead seal on new rim does sound odd to me,if the rim is bent from hitting a pothole could cause a bead leak to and bead seal will fix that sometimes to if the bend is slight by filling up that gap in the bead..hope this help you..clint
Old 04-02-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

This happened to both my front wheels when I got them put on. The first one I noticed immediately when I got home because it was audibly leaking. I brought it back and they fixed it in a jiffy. Second one took two more weeks to notice since it was so slow. It was also my passenger front, so I hardly ever see it. It was also a bead leak, and they fixed that one too. No problems since.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. Anyone else ever have this issue? I had one guy tell me it is due to the cheap chinese metal used in most aftermrket rims. He said they tend to be porous and let air out but I have a hard time believing that with as many aftermarket wheels as are sold.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Same thing is happening to my c6 z06 rims. Two were fine, 2 werent. Had them both sealed with bead sealer, and one still seems to be leaking.

It's starting to **** me off. The thing I have noticed we all have in common, KDW 2's for tires. I know somebody else with the same tire who had a leak as well (on a different rim). I'm starting to wonder if it has to do w/ the tire, not the rim.