Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Steering Wheel Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Vibration

Ok...here is what I have. I recently had to put the car in the air to check an ABS connection and I had to turn the wheel both ways to get to it. I had disassembled the brakes and taken the wheel bearing off to test the ABS sensor. Put everything back together and now I have vibration in the steering wheel 55+. The shaking gets faster but not harder the faster I go. Could I have damaged a wheel bearing by turning the wheels without load or maybe the rack and pinion need to be blead. I have the day off tomorrow and I will be doing a complete suspension check and balancing my tires this weekend. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Mind you,..I did have both the front tires off and I may have put them back on opposite sides. The tires are not directional but they are ones that require special mounting. Dunlop SP5000.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a problem in my 2002 transam ( daily driven on interstate), that was at 55mph and up it shook the steering wheel. Not real bad but enough to feel the shake. Long story short, took the car to a tire place and balanced the front tires, they were off a little, where the weights went, but shaking was gone.Sounds odd that you get a shaking after you messed with the brakes but maybe you will get lucky, with other input.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad ball joints ended up being the problem. Anyone have an install. I have done them before on an s-10 but that was with a single sheet metal control arm. The Firebird has two sheets crimped together. I haven't torn it down yet but it looks similar to the s-10.

thanks guys