Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Torque Sticks - Any Experience?

Old 06-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque Sticks - Any Experience?

Hi All:

Bought a cordless impact wrench yesterday (18V Dewalt - 300 pounds foot) to spin off and install lug nuts when installing track tires.

Can someone explain to me how those colored torque sticks you see at tire places work? These are the color coded attachments they put on an impact wrench so it properly torques a lug nut. The various colors indicate the torque. I'm sure there's science behind them, but I can't figure it out.

Found a place (www.torquestick.com) that sells them in various lug sizes and torque ratings. I figured a 19MM with a 100 pounds foot rating (my CTS-V lug torque spec) would save me the trouble of having to set the lugs with a torque wrench.

Any experience or thoughts with said torque sticks!

Feff
Old 06-14-2007, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are calibrated to absorb the impact shock that the tools create. They only work with impact tools, and will not work with hand tools. They are finely tuned and very accurate. However, once dropped or used to remove lug nuts, the accuracy begins to fade. If you've ever used a really long chrome extension with an impact tool you know how much an extension like that absorbs torque. Torque sticks do the same thing. One final note: I've found that they work better with air impact guns. I've got the new Snap-On 18v impact at work. If the battery gets even a little weak, the accuracy of the sticks will be off. They need a lot of impact torque to function properly.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:55 AM
Banned

Marc:

Thank you! I suppose the moral is check with a trusty torque wrench after install to make sure torque is correct.

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com
Old 06-14-2007, 09:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Yea, it's always best to use a good calibrated torque wrench even after using those.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I check my torque stick against a torque wrench about every 6 months, It's still within 2-3 ft lbs even after 5 years of heavy use.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torque Sticks - Any Experience?