Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default snow tires

hey guys I know it early to be thinking about winter but i want to be prepared. Right now I'm running 275/40/18 rear tires and 245/45/17 front. If anyone here runs snow tires what size do you run. OH yeah i'm planning on getting some 16" steelies for the rear. so basically what tire for 16" rim? thanks.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've run 215/60-16's and 235/45-17's. I've run Yokohamas, I've run Michelins and I've run Dunlops. They all worked great. I've got a set of 235/45-17 Dunlop Graspic DS2's in my garage right now that I'm trying to sell (if you're interested). I ran them two winters and they'll go a while longer. The rears are at about 50% tread (not that it mattered, the worked great) and the fronts are 75% or so.

If you've got SS wheels laying around, they work great. If you're buying a setup, tirerack usually does a snow tire package with new steel wheels (16") that work nicely.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last winter I ran the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 (255/45/17) on my 17" chrome ZR1 wheels...made it through the entire winter with my Camaro as my only car. They were the only reason I was able to make it to work and home again without totaling my car. Hence the beater I now own...I never want to worry about it again.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

i'll probably go with those 215/6016 tires on the rear. it'll look gawd awful but at least i'll be able to get around better in the snow.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by PunkerPontiac
i'll probably go with those 215/6016 tires on the rear. it'll look gawd awful but at least i'll be able to get around better in the snow.
That size on a 7.5" or 7" wide wheel is probably the best you're ever going to get on our rides for winter, as disgusting as it may look. I would do that setup at ALL 4 corners though, NOT just the back!
BTW; the ULTIMATE snows in that size are the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4/5s or RSis from Finland (IF you can afford them, and IF you take them off the car AS SOON AS there is no more threat of snow/ice, in order to save them from "burning up" in the warm/dry). These things make all of the other stuff (YES, even the Blizzacks that everyone rants and raves about) seem like they're going backwards and sideways in bad conditions, and we need ALL of the help we can get with these cars in that weather!!
Old 07-03-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dailydriver
That size on a 7.5" or 7" wide wheel is probably the best you're ever going to get on our rides for winter, as disgusting as it may look. I would do that setup at ALL 4 corners though, NOT just the back!...
+1... I run steelies 7" wide with some cheapo Winterforce 215/60's.... for sure Put them on all 4 corners! if you only put them on the back you will have no steering. I'd rather have good steering than rear grip anyways because its easier to spin the rear tires all the way down the street and counter steer the car in the right direction. Also the tire height difference form front to back will drive the ABS system nuts.