Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Looking for a generic billet centercap

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 06:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for a generic billet centercap

I have these wheels. http://www.forgeline.com/wheels/comp.html
They are meant to be run with the factory lug cover plate to hide the lugs and hub knockout. I like them alot more cover off, but you have that hole in the center for the nasty hub to stick through. My idea: I want to get some blank forged or billet center caps that are just larger than the I.D. for the center hole. I am going to drill through the back to the front and weld the new cap to the wheel over the hole. I am about at the point of going to a machine shop and getting 4 made. Which will cost WAY more than it should.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I ended up finding some centercaps for mine on ebay. It took a while to find them but eventually some came up. My CCW's didn't have a centercap either and I would have needed to buy new centers to run their centercaps.

Question if you weld the centercap to the wheel how will you have the tires balanced from then on since the machine I've seen them used always has a hub that goes thru center of the wheel.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
I ended up finding some centercaps for mine on ebay. It took a while to find them but eventually some came up. My CCW's didn't have a centercap either and I would have needed to buy new centers to run their centercaps.

Question if you weld the centercap to the wheel how will you have the tires balanced from then on since the machine I've seen them used always has a hub that goes thru center of the wheel.
Good point, in my search I did overlook the balancing aspect. I guess the only other way is to get a cap that screws on and have a set of threads made which weld to the wheel, then screw the cap to that so it is removable. Better ideas out there?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine are really rigged up but they do the job. I ended up using velcro. I cut a strip that was as wide as the lip on the centercap and wrapped it around and then the other side of the velcro was stuck around the hole in the center of the wheel.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
Mine are really rigged up but they do the job. I ended up using velcro. I cut a strip that was as wide as the lip on the centercap and wrapped it around and then the other side of the velcro was stuck around the hole in the center of the wheel.
You have those baller *** wheels and the word velcro is involved? Shame on you. I am going to talk to a family friend machinist and see what he can dream up to make it work. I am think a two piece threaded cap and thread base will be clean and have a look no one has..........We'll see.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

:JEST: Yeah I couldn't come up with anything else on the fly and I was tired of looking at the ugly hub thru the center of the wheel. Post up what you come up with when your done.