Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Wheel Spacers???

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 10:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel Spacers???

I'm trying to fit some 15" CRAGAR SS wheels on the rear of my car. I noticed they just rub on the very inside of the rim. I have ground them a little but dont want to do too much. Instead of wheel spacers could I just use 7/16" grade 8 washers on my wheel studs just for racing. I plan on just using this setup while at the track and switching back to my 17's after.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While it may sound like an easy solution, and I know people have done it in the past, I wouldn't do it. Those washers aren't a consistent thickness, so when you tighten down the wheel, you'll be introducing a certain amount of wobble.

How do I know this? Not exactly related, but anyway, I installed a set of the extra length ARP rocker arm studs in my LT-1, when I went to roller rockers. The factory studs have a built in washer to them, the ARPs do not. I bought 16 grade 8 washers, and figured I'd just put them on the base of the studs and screw them into the heads and be good to go. For some reason, however, I decided to measure the thickness of the washers first. Good thing I did, as they varied quite a bit. I took them to work and equalized them on a surface grinder before using them.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers???