Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Removing Chrome paint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Chrome paint?

Hey guys. So I've decided to paint my chrome SS rims turning them into 2002 LE SS rims (black outline).

Like so... (courtesy of a member).

Reason being the chrome is flaking off on the inner portions, and even tho they are off season wheels, I still would like to keep the car looking nice. Plus I like this look.

So here's my question. What could I use to remove the chrome in the areas where I will be painting? Or is it ok to roughen up/ sand the chrome and paint over it. Since there are spots chipped away I thought this would look like **** when I went to paint over it. So that's why I was thinking of removing it. Any ideas?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I would sandblast the chrome off, then paint or pwdercoat them.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-02-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can try blasting them but it probably wont get everything off. I went through this with set of chrome ZR1's that had peeled. I read a bunch of people saying not to use sand because it can weaken the aluminum, but rather to use walnut shells as the media . We got most the chrome off that way and with a wire wheel, then painted them. But for you this would be hard since you still want the face of the spokes to be chrome.

Getting it off the real right way is near impossible and takes some weird process since chroming it the first time was all electric currents and metal coatings and stuff.

I say just tape it off and jimmy rig paint it to see it you like it or not... you can always take it right back off, and since they're already peeling you're not losing a whole lot.