Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Screwed rims question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Screwed rims question

Once rims have been screwed, can you run drag radials on it without putting screws back in?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Do you mean putting screws through the wheel to lock the beads. THats an old school beadlock farmer/dirt racing trick .
Old 07-08-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Do what??
Old 07-08-2008, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Actually it probably wouldn't cause any problems. The bead of the tire would cover up the screw holes, the tire seals in the radius and along the foot of the bead, the only possible problem I can see is some air seepage when the car is sitting and it would have to be sitting just right. After the tire is mounted, put a little bit of silicone in the holes and let it set up. I doubt that you will have any problems. just curious though, if you had tire slippage before and had to screw the tires, why wouldn't you have tire slippage now?
Old 07-08-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jjordan
Actually it probably wouldn't cause any problems. The bead of the tire would cover up the screw holes, the tire seals in the radius and along the foot of the bead, the only possible problem I can see is some air seepage when the car is sitting and it would have to be sitting just right. After the tire is mounted, put a little bit of silicone in the holes and let it set up. I doubt that you will have any problems. just curious though, if you had tire slippage before and had to screw the tires, why wouldn't you have tire slippage now?
thanks lol...you seem to be the only one who understood that. The tires feel fine and dont leak but have not been to the track with it yet. Just out on the road to see how they feel. I just wasnt sure if when it hooked hard if it would pull up enough to seep out or not.

Reason i am trying to avoid them now is because i was running bias ply tires with the rims at low psi but now i have switched to a radial and going to try and run more psi
Old 07-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Teching In

that's what I thought you were doing, but I wanted to be sure. When an open wheel Dirt car gets hit in the wheel you can spin the tire on the rim. If you're running a tube to prevent a flat it will tear the valvestem and then you're done. Oh yea and farmers used to use the same trick with their beat up tractors when pulling heavy **** through fields for the same tire spinning reason. I agree with the silicone on the holes. You would probably be okay either way though.