Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

trouble swapping wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question trouble swapping wheels

well as you can see in my sig i recently bought my first ls1 and it came with the fat chrome 5 spoke wheels. im not sure if they have an actual name lol. anyway, i had my 17X9.5's TT2's on my lt1 and i wanted to just swap the wheels. well i swap the front wheels with no problem. but the rears are a diff. story. when trying to put the fat 5 spokes on my lt1 it was like the center hub on the wheels wouldnt fit over the hub on the rotor. and it took me a while but i could maybe get 3-4 turns of the lug nuts on the threads.

so whats the deal?? are the hubs on the rears of lt1's bigger?? or could it be the rust on the hub maybe affecting the fit?? need some help guys, thanks!
Old 07-07-2008, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I had the same issue with mine with a set of Z06 wheels that fit perfectly well on a LS1 car. It seems that the LS1 hub is a fraction smaller than the LT1 hubs in the back. I used a sanding cyl. on my grinder to gently take away some of the hub areas on the wheel and axle.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by benji's_z28
. . . so whats the deal?? are the hubs on the rears of lt1's bigger?? . . . need some help guys, thanks!

Yup the rear hub of the LT1 rear axles are bigger than a LS1, not by much, so a little reaming of the center bore hole of the wheel should have you all fixed up in no time.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so do i just take a dremel tool and go to town and make the hole bigger?? or is there a more precise way to go about it??
Old 07-08-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by benji's_z28
so do i just take a dremel tool and go to town and make the hole bigger?? or is there a more precise way to go about it??
That would work. Need to work slowly and take a consistant amount off as evenly as possible. It really shoudn't be allot of material.

A drum sander should do the trick.