Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Need tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Need tire advice

Fellas, I got BFG Comp T/A ZRs that came installed on my SLP Firehawk wheels when I ordered them about 6 or 7 years ago. I've only put about 5 or 6000 miles on them, so there's PLENTY of tread left. The problem is that I store my car outside under a cover but it gets really cold up here in the winter, and the tires have developed cracks around the outside of the treads.They don't seem to be too deep but each tire has quite a few of them.

I've been debating whether or not I should just replace them or run with them. I just drive on the street. Am I taking a big chance by driving with these tires, or is it not that big a deal?

If I do replace them, is there a performance tire that's known to hold up well in subfreezing temperatures? Thanks.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

I've been thinking, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get new tires. I wonder if A/S radials would be a better choice for subzero temps even though I don't drive in the snow or rain? I don't want this cracking to happen to my next set.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:23 AM
TECH Addict

I'm all set fellas. I ordered (4) BFG G-Force Sport A/S. Thanks anyway.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You definitely did the right thing getting new tires.

Any chance your budget could stand another set of wheels? I'd keep the old BFGs and either get a set of junk rims and put the BFGs on them for storage, or leave the BFGs where they are, for storage, and put the new BFGs on a new set of wheels.

In the winter, take the good tires off, and store them in the basement. That's what I do....
Old 08-20-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
You definitely did the right thing getting new tires.

Any chance your budget could stand another set of wheels? I'd keep the old BFGs and either get a set of junk rims and put the BFGs on them for storage, or leave the BFGs where they are, for storage, and put the new BFGs on a new set of wheels.

In the winter, take the good tires off, and store them in the basement. That's what I do....
Thanks for the confirmation about new tires, leadfoot. I feel better now about ordering new ones.

I never thought of that! You know what, I actually still have my stock tires and wheels, the 245mms with 16" chrome wheels. Damn, I wish I had put those on for the winter storage. Without you mentioning it, I probably never would have thought of it, so thanks a lot!

With that being said, I'm thinking about just driving my car year round but not in snow and rain. If I do decide to store it again this year I'll definitely throw the stockers back on. That's brilliant!

I have a quick question though, I wonder if these BFG G-Force SS A/S will be hardier in the colder temps? I mean they are all-season instead of summer performance tires like the Comp T/As that cracked. It wouldn't make sense for BFG to make A/S tires that can't withstand the cold. You think that's true?

Thanks again for your great idea!
Old 08-20-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The first set of BFGs you have, the original Comp T/As, are "summer" tires. Their compound isn't great for cold temps. Part of the deal with "all season" tires is that they stay more flexible in colder temps, so the SS a/s tires you just bought will work fairly well in the winter.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
The first set of BFGs you have, the original Comp T/As, are "summer" tires. Their compound isn't great for cold temps. Part of the deal with "all season" tires is that they stay more flexible in colder temps, so the SS a/s tires you just bought will work fairly well in the winter.
Thanks leadfoot, that's what I was hoping. If the A/S tires stay more "flexible," I'm hoping I can avoid the cracking problem I had with the Comp T/As (if I don't put my stock wheels back on and store the car).

Actually, I was reading that these G-Force SS A/S tires are made from three different rubber compounds, and it's the most technologically advanced tire that BFG has ever made. I think I made a good choice (taking into consideration your input). Thanks! I appreciate it.