drag radials in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't drive with drag radials in the rain. I was driving with my bfg dr's
in a light rain going up hill about 30 mph. My car did a 180* and crossed
the median and down the ditch. I was lucky no damage to me or anyone else
but I learned a lesson not to drive with drag radials in the rain.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
I have BFG Drag radials and i've only driven in the rain once or twice, (ive only had my car for 4 or 5 months). From what i remember I was fine, but you just gotta be really careful. I've heard stories of people spinning out on highways with drag radials.

thats why im so worried bout running drag radials. i dont see the reason on buying tires that maybe last less than 10k miles and are dangerous to drive. im thinking of going with some goodyear F1.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:45 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You can get by with Nittos in the rain as long as the tread is deep and the weather's warm. Other than that, you need a spare pair of wheels with the DR's mounted that you can bolt on when it's dry and warm.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Launching!

Sorry to OP not meaning to steal the thread but to add to his questions.

If I was to get drag radials for my T/A which is my DD, are they safe for driving on highways? In the rain and no rain? Btw if driving in the rain is ineviteable, as long as im not driving aggressive i'll be fine right?

I'm hearing alot of this loosing traction easily, but is that because you guys are driving normally or being aggressive?
Old 10-12-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Koastie57
Sorry to OP not meaning to steal the thread but to add to his questions.

If I was to get drag radials for my T/A which is my DD, are they safe for driving on highways? In the rain and no rain? Btw if driving in the rain is ineviteable, as long as im not driving aggressive i'll be fine right?

I'm hearing alot of this loosing traction easily, but is that because you guys are driving normally or being aggressive?
depends on what type of DR. If you go with the prob most common streetable DR- the nitto 555R then you will be ok in the rain. But you still need to be very careful even with those. City driving in the rain im always ok, but if im ever on the highway im extra safe.

the fact is if you are on a TRUE drag radial then you should not be driving in the rain period.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats crazy bout people almost getting into accidents in the rain. sometimes u cant help it but have to drive in the rain. i guess ill just pay the extra money and go ahead with some goodyear F1. i dont see how its worth it to buy a tire that wont last as long and be unsafe to you and others.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by TXws6
depends on what type of DR. If you go with the prob most common streetable DR- the nitto 555R then you will be ok in the rain. But you still need to be very careful even with those. City driving in the rain im always ok, but if im ever on the highway im extra safe.
I drove a 350 mile round trip in the rain when my Nittos were new. They did fine but I was a little nervous the entire time. Driving in the city in the rain was completely fine - in fact, they had better traction than most street tires. That is, until they were about halfway worn down. They became slicker, harder, and I got rid of them.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Nitto 555r drive in the rain like any other street tire.

The Mickey Thompson radials with the older tread patten are downright dangerous even on damp roads.

I recently got a set of 305/35r18 Mickey Thompson radials and got caught in a storm on a long trip. They have the new directional tread pattern and did surprisingly well. I was able to cruise at 60 mph with no issues.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Launching!

325/45/17 m&h drag radials on a 613rwhp with drag suspension with an m6, no problems in the rain, just drive carefully
Old 10-13-2008, 05:40 AM
On The Tree

you gotta be really careful me and kyle were drivin back in his t/a with slicks on the freeway at 40 just so it wouldnt slide out

Quick Reply: drag radials in the rain?