Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Why you don't need a capacitor

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sort of, but dont confuse power with signal.

what the cap does in regard to audio equipment is it keeps the amp running properly. what i mean by this is, with an UNREGULATED amp, you can look at the power output versus voltage as a diagonal line if graphed. so as voltage increases, power output increases.

when you first start your engine, after the alternator has time to recharge the battery (1 minute or so) the car should be running at 14.4 volts. at this voltage your amp is running properly. the bass is punchy and solid (assuming the system is built right). as you drive around and run your system, the voltage goes up and down. the louder your stereo, the more it varies. turn on the A/C, it goes down more.

now a cap will NOT add voltage, nor will it stop it from varying, but it will somewhat damp the variations. this means that your bass might sound more punchy, kinda like how it did when you first started your engine.

most of this can also be corrected with doing the BIG 3. often times, your alternator is powerful enough to power everything, but your factory wires cant transfer enough current to keep the battery charged.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need a FLUX capacitor, punch it to 88, and you'll have a system from year 2050!
Old 01-14-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I know there is no point to a capacitor, just do the big 3, and/or get big alternator with big output and/or a better battery. I laugh so hard when i see a car with a cap in it.

Quick Reply: Why you don't need a capacitor