Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

audio problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audio problems

when i bought the car it had alot of wires ran for a shitty set up just had something rigged up i get to looking and its cause the yellow and org wire are melted i think inside the connector they are touching. the black(ground) is cut and twisted together. so what it does is when i hook up the cd player it does not play anything very loud the its really quite on max but you can hear the bass when it hits but still does not sound good i just put new speakers in it and the cd player is new too up to the stock harness is all wired right. but i dont know if its cause the wires are melted or not what should i do? i thought about going to a junk yard and cutting the wires that go from the wiring harness and hooking that in before the burnt wires and see if that works. but i guess my only other option is to hook up an amp and just not use the harness from the car and run it that way but i dont know if anyone has had this problem or if the car maybe had a factory amp iv not seen that is messed up or what any info would be great.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

What language was that? It sure didn't look like English...

If I understand the problem, you have some wires in the factory radio harness that are damaged (melted or whatever). In that case, you want to buy a replacement harness with the connector so that you can splice it into the factory harness and repair the damage.

The factory setup has two 10-pin connectors (one white and one black) that snap together and plug into the radio as an assembly. The white one is part number 12125670 and the black one is part number 12085486. Both come with short wires installed so you can splice into the original harness.

Another option (probably cheaper) is to buy the Metra replacement harness which is a one piece 20-pin connector with wires. Their part number is 71-1858 and you should be able to get one at most car audio stores.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i tryed the first part but what i did was went to a junk yard and cut the harness and tryed it that way. but it didnt work, so i ran the wires from the speakers to the back of the cd player and only connected the yellow org and black to the factory harness and put a butt connector on all the other ones that where still open so nothing with touch each other. then i just hooked them all to the cd player it works great. thanks for the help tho just wondering how can i find part numbers like that is there a place i can look online for them