Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

kee audio vs. kenwood????

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default kee audio vs. kenwood????

stock stereo, stock speakers and car is 10 years old, it has a 10in. sub in drivers side rear spare compartment with a rock.f. amp.

i believe the way it is wired is for all the bass to come thru the sub and on the radio amp the bass for the speakers are turned all the way down. i believe that's the reason my speakers have lasted as long as they have.

i have 1 sail panel speaker that has gone bad. based on info above, should i just get the kee audio replacement speakers or take it to freemans or whoever and let them replace all 6 with kenwood or something.

is kee audio worth it or is there something better?

thanks for any help.
rob
Old 03-10-2009, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

First: Have you looked at your stock speakers? they have foam on the side that has disintegrated and they are made from paper. Your right, it is impressive that yours could have lasted this long.

Second: both the door and sail panel speakers are 2ohm and the rears are 4ohm, i'm not sure which kenwood speakers your talking about, but you need to make smart choices when going with 4ohm speakers in the door. You might get some REAL shitty sound if you go to some average "joe speaker shop" thanks to your monsoon system. I tried that i know. Ps, dont mix up your mid and tweeter speaker wires when you swap speakers.

Lastly: how are you comparing a dude and his f-body proven selection with a speaker company? Ian Kee offers deals that you COULDN'T get on ebay cause his prices can be so competitive with the products he offers. If you want something cheap or something high grade he sells both. I personally went with his MTX speakers for my doors and although they are 4ohm i lost no sound compared to the infinity 2ohm speakers i had before (the 4ohm speakers before the infinity speakers SUCKED). Ian also has great Bazooka speakers for the sail panels. As for your hatch speakers, you can dump any 4ohm speaker in there, they all work.

Lastly, Ian is the nicest guy i ever met. I called him 2 weeks ago for the first time and he installed my Avic-90bt. If i wasn't a poor *** student i would have given him more money than the unreasonably low amount he charged me.
--if I ever finish up my 2 din bezel, i'll post pictures of Ian Kee's work.

Hope that helps
Old 03-10-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it does help.

i haven't talked with kee audio yet, just wanted to check all options.
kenwood speakers were just used as reference speakers. as my last statement said, i just didn't know if kee audio was "just another" sponsor, or if maybe i should be checking into alpine, kenwood, etc.
believe me when i say, just because your a sponsor, doesn't always make it the right choice. i am/will definately be giving kee a call, just wanted opinions beforehand.

thanks
rob
Old 03-10-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and you also bring up the next question. since 1 is bad, should i go ahead and bust out all six? or just the 2 sails' and cross my fingers?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

I'm no fortune teller, so this will be all based on assumption: But lets say you replace your sail panel speakers and bring up the bass to the middle. might start working it hard enough to bring up your chances of blowing more speakers. In the end, it will be distortion that kills most speakers, that's what you have to watch out for and that's what the stock head unit can be good at. Lets take that to the extreme: My 99 came with a tape deck. i used that to play my ipod music and the combination of the song volumes being at different levels and the HUGE distortion the tape deck created, my infinity speaker blew (i also had the tweeter and mid wires crossed)

I do have to say those paper speakers really stink. my 2 cents.

heres the real question to ask, how much are you willing to spend?
change one sail panel: ~$55 two=~$110
both door speakers: $55 - 150
rear hatch: $30-60
HU: 75$-$2000

I got my avic f90bt for $600, door speakers 75$, infinity mids in my sail panels (i know its not a sub, ohh well, but still sounds great-even to Ian Kee) for $55. and some pepboy Sony speakers in the hatch for 40 or so bucks.
I never changed my monsoon amp, it gets plenty loud without it.

considering non of the moderators have chimed in, i don't think my logic is too far out there... but they DO know a lot more than i do.

P.S. when you change your speakers, don't do it in those little cubby holes, remove the whole door panel, its WAY more easier....
Old 03-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Do you know what infinity mids you have in the sail panels? I found a set for $80 but you listed you paid even less!

Thanks
Old 03-12-2009, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

your right! they don't make them anymore...
I guess no one wanted to buy just a mid, now they sell them as a component set. That sucks cause they were even cheaper then the 2way speakers. you might find them on ebay if you find out which name they had. I'll check it for you tomorrow after my Physiotherapy national board exam. its cram time for me right now
Old 03-13-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

talked with ian today, going with kee audio.
he was great help on the phone and easy to deal with.

hope you get to feeling better
Old 03-14-2009, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

thanks bud! the cramming paid off, test went well . now its time to put my focus back on my car. Ian LOVES his job, and is super humble considering all that he knows. That is a rare find...
Old 03-17-2009, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Kee Audio, enough said.......