Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

rear tail lights help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009 | 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default rear tail lights help!

so ive been having problems with my rear taillights...i replaced all the bulbs and im still having problems...with my headlights off my rear turns and brakes work perfectly...but when i have my lights on when i brake only the 3rd brake light gets bright and the tails are still on, they just dont get brigher....and also with the turn signals, same problem. work fine with the lights off but dont flash with the lights on....any insight on this will be greatly appreciated as its been pissing me off for some time now
Old 05-02-2009 | 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 05-03-2009 | 09:03 AM
Save the manuals!
15 Year Member

How did you figure out what bulbs to put in? Did you do replacements with the exact model that were in there before? Is the third brake light the exact same bulb # as the others?

You could get this behavior with the incorrect bulb model. (There are two filaments in the bulb and it sounds like only one of them is getting energized - except for the third brake light - with your running lights and brake lights are using the same filament.) Usually, your running lights would be one one filament and your brakes on another - which is why it gets "brighter."

To see what is going on, you might take the bulbs out of the lenses and watch the filaments (comparing them to the third brake light) to see what is going on.