Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Does anybody know???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Question Does anybody know???

I used to see ads for a place that could repurpose your factory head unit, but haven't seen in years... They had a large selection of stock radios, cd players etc that had been turned into advanced, up-to-date head units without changing the look or size of the original factory head unit...

I would really like to find this place, as I want to keep the look of my stock radio, and I want to continue using my steering wheel audio controls, but I also want CD-MP3 and iPod capabilities, in addition to better sound output to my speakers.

Can't find anything on the web, hoping you guys might know...
Old 06-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You can retain the stock steering wheel controls with an aftermarket headunit by using an adapter. There are a few different models depending on the brand of headunit you buy.

If the headunit supports a wired remote (port on back of headunit), you can get the wired version of the PAC SWI-?. (I put a ? there because there are different models for different headunits units)

Here are the ones I found on Crutchfield:
PAC SWI-ALP - Alp/JVC/Ken/Blau
PAC SWI-ECL - Eclipse
PAC SWI-PS - Pioneer and Sony

Otherwise, you can use a PAC SWI-X which is the universal IR version that works with most headunits that have use an IR remote.

I have a Pioneer AVIC-D3 headunit and use a PAC SWI-PS to retain the steering wheel controls.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know for my 69 that either YEAR ONE or Classic Industries did it at one time.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
You can retain the stock steering wheel controls with an aftermarket headunit by using an adapter. There are a few different models depending on the brand of headunit you buy.

If the headunit supports a wired remote (port on back of headunit), you can get the wired version of the PAC SWI-?. (I put a ? there because there are different models for different headunits units)

PAC SWI-ECL - Eclipse

Otherwise, you can use a PAC SWI-X which is the universal IR version that works with most headunits that have use an IR remote.

I have a Pioneer AVIC-D3 headunit and use a PAC SWI-PS to retain the steering wheel controls.
Thought I would add that the new Alpine models use the SWI-JACK. Certain Clarion, JVC, and Kenwood hu's use it also. It works AWESOME with my cda-105, and the steering wheel controls actually do more with the aftermarket hu then the factory one.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by RARON455
Was it a Custom Auto Sound unit?
http://www.casmfg.com/
That's the one that comes to mind for classics.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RARON455
can't find Year One anywhere, Classic Industries doesn't seem to have them either, but they do have a TON of other stuff that I'm gonna have loads of fun pouring over lol
Old 07-07-2009, 01:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by VIP1

PAC SWI-ECL - Eclipse

Cool! Was hoping to retain the look of my factory HU, but if I can't, then at least I can have my steering wheel controls still. Thanks
Old 07-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

You don't say what year your car is but if it's 2000 or newer you can add iPod/MP3 player capability to the factory head unit with an external adapter such as the GM9-AUX or the iSimple. CD-MP3 would be more difficult since it involves changing the electronics that process signal from the CD drive.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You don't say what year your car is but if it's 2000 or newer you can add iPod/MP3 player capability to the factory head unit with an external adapter such as the GM9-AUX or the iSimple. CD-MP3 would be more difficult since it involves changing the electronics that process signal from the CD drive.
yeah, was hoping for a better feed from the head unit, but if I can't get what I'm lookin for, somethin like that will be the next best thing. I'll have to it and see if I can run it up thru the console...