Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Double Din Help (What should I get)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Double Din Help (What should I get)?

Hello all, I'm slightly new to the stereo board and was contemplating a double din install on my camaro. I'm pretty sure I can handle the fabrication of the bezel. My question is more along the lines of what should I get?

I really am not one that needs the newest and best out there...I'd prefer this to be a relatively cheap endeavor. So I guess my question is what sort of older double din models would you recommend...here is my list of what I would like the head unit to do.

First I understand that pretty much Kenwood and Pioneer are the way to go.
I would like touch screen capabilities. I would like a head unit where I can hookup an external hard drive (roughly 120GB) to the head unit, and have it recognize my songs. I mean, that's pretty much it. Navigation would be a bonus...I understand Kenwood uses Garmin and Pioneer you still have to load the CDs? I could care less about DVD capability. A rearview camera option would be nice, but not too important. Couldn't care much about XM or Sirius either.

Not sure if that helps, but if you know of any discontinued head units, or even new ones that fit pretty well, I'm all ears! Thanks guys!
Old 07-31-2009, 08:38 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

If you don't care about GPS, you can get something like a Kenwood DDX-512 (same as a DNX-5120 without the GPS) new for around $350. I've found that they will support a USB hard drive but won't consistently start up with it. Every so often I'll start the car and it won't recognize the 120GB USB drive until I unplug it and plug it back in. In fact, I haven't found anything bigger than an 8GB flash drive that will reliably start up every time. It's not really a problem but it's annoying.

Also, make sure you get a drive that uses very little current. The USB port doesn't seem to provide the full current supply that you would get from a PC. Toshiba drives work well but the Western Digital that I tried will cut out randomly and the Maxtor won't even start up.