Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

antenna dead

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default antenna dead

like most bird owners my antenna is stuck in the up position. If I push it down in will I still get reception?
Old 09-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 348 Likes on 319 Posts

You won't be able to push it down. (BTW- You will not get reception with it down.) The sections get gummed up with sloughed off paint.

The factory procedure works well for this. Eventually, you may need to change the mast but this should get you going:

- Soak a rag in mineral spirits. (You must use 100% minteral spirits. Paint thinner or other chemicals will not work.)
- Turn on the radio so the motor will "think" its in the up position.
- Wipe the mast down until it is clean.
- Turn the radio off so the antenna will try to retract.
- Repeat above until everything works smoothly.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

I think mine is broken as well, but I don't think that is my only problem. When I got my car, the power antenna motor had been disconnected. I can push it down part of the way, and sometimes it will fall down. I think the cable that raises and lowers the mast is broken. Will I have to get a replacement mast/cable or another power antenna assembly?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by ArkBird96
I think mine is broken as well, but I don't think that is my only problem. When I got my car, the power antenna motor had been disconnected. I can push it down part of the way, and sometimes it will fall down. I think the cable that raises and lowers the mast is broken. Will I have to get a replacement mast/cable or another power antenna assembly?
Yea, it sounds like the plastic cable in side the mast broke. One of the broken ends could be wrapped around the antenna gear. If so, it could be a challenge to get out. If you can't get it out, you may need a new antenna assembly.

To pull the antenna out, undo the nut on the top of the unit and then pull the mast out. (It will be difficult but will eventually come.) You should then be able to see what's going on. (Be prepared when you do this as you may not want to put it back in and may be without an antenna for a while.)
Old 09-09-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

thanks I was just going to force it down and disconnect it but I guess this won't work.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by jorgez28
thanks I was just going to force it down and disconnect it but I guess this won't work.
No, you could brake something or you could cause it to be gummed up in the down position - which would make your problem worse. (Because you couldn't service the mast at all at that point and would need an entirely new motor.)

The Mineral Spirits trick works great and just costs a couple of bucks. Using the method will buy you several years until you have to replace the mast entirely.

Quick Reply: antenna dead