Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Got a spare HU, is it worth me fitting it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a spare HU, is it worth me fitting it?

Hey,

I'm breaking my old DD, and it has a Kenwood kdc-3090r hu.
Hope this works, here's a pdf of the kenwood hu manual:
http://manuals.kenwood.novenaweb.inf...4090-3090R.pdf

My current system in the TA has infinity kappas in the doors, a 500watt alpine amp with a 10" type R sub, and stock hu.

Should I put the kenwood hu in with this set up?

Any idea how I can get the code before I disconect the battery?

Will it work with the steering wheel controls? (I see the hu needs an infa red remote control, not sure if the kenwood has one?)
Tell me more about this 'common interface by PAC called SWI-X'...
Is that for if the hu doesn't have infa red remote, to make the steering wheel controls work?

Thanks for the advise

Last edited by taws6; 10-25-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

Well anythings better than stock. If it were me, I would find a H.U. with a subwoofer output, this way you could better tune your system, and would have a sub level control. As far as the swi-x, it is a universal adapter. It programs off the remote control of the headunit and has a little led you have to mount aimed at the h.u. Again, i woudl stay away from this one, and get a headunit that is steering wheel ready for a direct connection, liek the swi-jack, swi-ps, etc. Using the infared is kind of hit and miss, but if its your only option it does work.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:06 AM
TECH Resident

Okay, thanks for the advise.
I thought it would be better than what I have now, but I think I'll wait and put in something more worthwhile.

Any idea how I can get the code from the Kenwood before I disconect the battery?