Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Radar detector and cigarrette lighter

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar detector and cigarrette lighter

Hey guys, I have a quick question. I recently bought a 00 Z28 and hooked up my cobra radar detector into it. I drove around for a bit, shut off the car but the radar detector won't shut off. Both of the outlets do this so I was just wondering, is this normal, and should I worry about leaving it plugged in? If no, what should I do to fix it besides just unplugging the radar detector each time I stop?
Old 10-27-2009, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

thats how its supposed to be. the cig lighters are always on however the cobras have a timer so after i believe 15 mins they automatically shut off, and then when it senses your car turning back on they turn on automatically, so you dont ever really have to worry about turning them on and off.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The one I have turns off when the battery gets to a certain volt and comes back on when I start the car. You might have to set yours to do the same.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome guys thanks. I was just trying to be careful and not wanting to walk out one day and my car be dead. I'll leave it plugged in when I get to work tomorrow and go out an hour later and see what happens.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Alright... so I left the radar detector on while I went into work. Left it on for an hour and walked back out. Without touching any controls I peeked through the window and the radar detector was still on. I can't remember what the voltage was reading on the dash but I believe it was over 13 or whatever. Oh well, looks like I'll just unplug it each time.