Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 05-20-2016, 01:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How-to: install steering wheel w/radio controls

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wonder how my power steering isnt working now then, it worked before i messed with this aftermarket steering wheel.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by lsmaxxed
i wonder how my power steering isnt working now then, it worked before i messed with this aftermarket steering wheel.
Not related unless you disconnected the steering wheel from the actual wheels, in which case you have bigger issues....

Your turn signal thing is a mechanical problem in the steering wheel. Did you change any parts behind the clockspring? Maybe things didn't go back together in the correct order?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

is the sir coil and the clock spring the same thing? I don't understand the instructions you bolded about centering and turning the clock spring a certain way. Will it be more obvious once I'm looking at the clock spring as it is installed in my car?
Old 03-05-2014, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZexGX
I did filing and grease on the first shot. Grease wouldn't have helped (it was already operating smoothly with no stuttering resistance) as I was trying to eliminate that sharp increase in pressure leading to a violent SNAP (aka going to break plastic feel) effect caused by the stock design. Only filing that plastic would have reduced it. I filed the plastic and then applied some multi-purpose grease of the same color that was already there. I definitely need to do more experimentation so I can get a filing process/technique worked out.
i have a 98 with a monsoon system I think, has the speakers under the rear hatch, does this mean I have the hook ups for the hu controls?
Old 08-03-2015, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

I know this is a very old thread, but did you ever find out if you needed to switch the SIR coil if using a aftermarket head unit. I have a 95 firebird that has an after market head unit. I purchased a steering wheel with controls and a PAC adapter. I'm just wondering if I need to go through all the fuss of replacing a SIR since I will keep my origional airbag unit. What are your thoughts? Thanks

Jared

Originally Posted by jdoyle
I have an Alpine CDA-9847 and I believe that I need the PAC Audio SWI-X to get my steering wheel controls to work.

do you know if i would still need the SIR coil/airbag clockspring? i imagine that the SWI-X would plug into where SIR coil/airbag clockspring would plug in? and that the connector/connection on the other side (the under the dash side and not the steering wheel side) would not have anything to connect to since my car has an aftermarket head unit.

can anyone confirm or deny this for me please before i start looking further into buying parts?

thanks.

or perhaps just a list of what someone who has an aftermarket head unit rather than stock would need to do the conversion?
Old 08-03-2015, 03:31 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by jcparmley
I know this is a very old thread, but did you ever find out if you needed to switch the SIR coil if using a aftermarket head unit. I have a 95 firebird that has an after market head unit. I purchased a steering wheel with controls and a PAC adapter. I'm just wondering if I need to go through all the fuss of replacing a SIR since I will keep my origional airbag unit. What are your thoughts? Thanks

Jared
Yes, you will have to replace the coil in order to use the steering wheel controls. The 95 Firebird was available with steering wheel audio controls but used a different coil. The option code was UK3 (electronic system accessory control). 95 Firebird without UK3 coil part #26041005. 95 Firebird with UK3 coil part #26050811. The first one doesn't have the harness and connector for the controls.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes, you will have to replace the coil in order to use the steering wheel controls. The 95 Firebird was available with steering wheel audio controls but used a different coil. The option code was UK3 (electronic system accessory control). 95 Firebird without UK3 coil part #26041005. 95 Firebird with UK3 coil part #26050811. The first one doesn't have the harness and connector for the controls.
thank you
Old 02-13-2023, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the middle of swapping mine and ran into trouble trying to center the clock spring. You say to press the service spring and turn the wheel the way the arrow shows until it maxes out and then back off 2.5 turns. I went lock to lock with mine and got 6.5 turns so I'm scared of doing the 2.5 thing because I don't want to break a hard to find clock spring. Just wanted to double check before I do the 2.5 turns.

Quick Reply: How-to: install steering wheel w/radio controls