Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Keyless Entry - Original Remote Toast

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless Entry - Original Remote Toast

So, I get my new-to-me-z this summer and it only has one keyless remote. I want one for my wife so I find instructions on this site about buying online and programming myself. This proves to be an excellent solution price-wise. So good in fact I figure I can get two new ones and keep the original as backup.

After an extended wait they arrive in the mail last week. Today, I program the two new remotes just fine, takes like 5 minutes. And, they work better than the original with greater range, I'd guess due to newer batteries.

But: now the original won't work, the car is completely unresponsive to it. I try the re-programming procedure over again in different combinations (just the original by itself, along with one of the new ones, along with the both new ones, the original first in order, last in order) but still nothing. The two new remotes work great, the original's decided it's time to retire.

What's up? The battery died just then or what? I'll try a new battery but seems like quite a coincidence.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The system is supposed to be able to program up to four remotes. All of them have to be programmed at the same time but you already tried that. I suspect it's either a difference between the remotes (do they all have the same FCC ID number on them?) or there's something wrong with the old one.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right you are WhiteBird00, I replaced the battery in the original and now it's working too. I'll guess it was about to go and I'm lucky I got the new ones going at just the moment the original died.

I got the new remotes from originalkeyless.com, I guess it's ok to mention them since they advertise here. These products are excellent value and they work great. I'm blaming the shipping delay on either the post office or border customs into Canada, originalkeyless processed the order almost immediately.

Thanks ls1tech for the info and advice, this saves me a couple hundred bucks - and I'm happy to report with her own remote my wife has now taken quite a liking to the Z which will allow us to sell our old minivan, saving thousands!