Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Hirschmann Power Antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hirschmann Power Antenna?

My original power antenna snapped and i was wondering if anybody has had experience with any of those antennas listed on ebay. price is about half the cost of an oe type antenna.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

You should be able to get a replacement mast from gmpartsdirect for around $30. Not sure what the part number is for a 96 - but the mast is a lot easier to put in than a new unit.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have installed them in 2 different f bodys no issues
Old 01-12-2010, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

the motors bad too. makes a nasty grinding noise every time i turn on/off the radio. gmpartsdirect has the whole assembly for 105 i think. i bought this one off ebay for 52 shipped. i did some research and apparently hirschmann made the antennas for the old bimmers and mercedes so i feel a lil better about the purchase now
Old 01-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
the motors bad too. makes a nasty grinding noise every time i turn on/off the radio. gmpartsdirect has the whole assembly for 105 i think. i bought this one off ebay for 52 shipped. i did some research and apparently hirschmann made the antennas for the old bimmers and mercedes so i feel a lil better about the purchase now
Your motor is fine, so you should be able to get some money for it. The antenna mast has a plastic rack with gear teeth on it. The grinding you hear is the motor gear grinding on that plastic rack, which can no longer move because the mast is snapped. If you undo the nut at the top of the mast and pull on it really really hard when its trying to extend, the whole thing will pop out and the noise will go away.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

it didnt go up or down, even before it snapped. but i see what you mean. i'll have to take it apart and see. if all looks well maybe i can give it to my buddy with a non-power antenna. thanks for the input

Quick Reply: Hirschmann Power Antenna?