Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2000 z28 stereo system need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2000 z28 stereo system need advice

i have a 2000 camaro z28 coupe with the monsoon sound system... i've read a lot of the sticky's on this forum and still need advice...

i know my front right speaker is shot to hell so i need to replace the front two speakers...

SO, what is the best "bang for buck" set of front speakers for my car that i can install myself..

AND, if it will improve the sounds quite a bit, what are some good "bang for buck" set of sailpannel speakers for my car that i can install myself?

i saw the kee audio stuff... did anyone only install lets say one of their front sets of speakers and the sailpannel speakers and have a huge difference in sound quality?
Old 01-16-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The speakers will help a little. The biggest difference is going to be a new headunit. I spent quite a bit of money on speakers a few years back. Sounded better if only just. New HU this week and damn what a difference. Anyway to answer your question I used infinity components up front. I would have gone the Kee route, but that was before I was a member.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm from upstate also! lol
With no other mods to the stereo i would do infinity because some of them are a 2ohm load.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

New headunit is best "bang for buck" in my opinion. No need to spend a lot on high end speakers. You would only benefit from having them matched to a seperate amp, which starts a whole new can of worms. From your searching I'm sure you have seen that Kee won't steer you wrong. Good Luck!
Old 01-16-2010, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

has anyone installed the Kee standard or premium speaker packages?

what are you thoughts?

second of all, isnt the "standard" package including the bazooka subwoofer with a dual voice coil when my z28 coupe doesnt need that?
Old 01-17-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Go on Ebay and get yourself a pair of Infinity 62.7i speakers. There are not a lot of them around but if you keep looking you should find apair. I put them in my 98 and I like them a lot and Cheap too!! They are a DIRECT FIT the have the seperate leads for the midbase and the tweeter. This is wat I was told and I am not dissapointed.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Regular

I installed the Kee Audio basic package using only the front components and the sail panels in my formula, leaving the stock hatch speakers connected. I love it! You will loose some power from the higher impedance of the 4-ohm speakers, but it will not be bad at all.

Also, even though the Bazookas are DVC, I have heard of several people getting them to work in their Camaros. I'm sure Ian at Kee Audio, WhiteBird00, and others could tell you better than I could, but I love mine!

I second the notion of replacing the head unit as well. it will be a night-and-day difference when compared to the stock HU which is a "weapon of mass distortion"
Old 01-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The advantage of the Bazooka (or Audiopipe) dual voice coil 4-ohm + 4-ohm sail panel subs is that they will work well in both Firebirds and Camaros. Firebirds connect the two voice coils to the two channels coming from the amp.

Camaros require 2-ohm single voice coil speakers there. Connect the two voice coils together in parallel (positive to positive and negative to negative) and guess what? You've got a single voice coil 2-ohm speaker - just what the doctor ordered.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

I ordered the standard kee package, just waiting on them to show up
Old 01-17-2010, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

well is the "premium" package a HUGE upgrade from the "standard" kee audio one?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

As I understand it, the basic package is designed for stock power. As far as the Premium package is concerned, it is really designed for aftermarket power, but I could be wrong.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

OK here is the system i have chosen to buy i guess

*Kee Audio Standard Speaker Package
*Infinity 1052w Subwoofer
*i will make a stealth box
*JVC KS-AX4302 amplifier for the sub
*Sony CDX-GT540UI HU
*PAC SWI-PS Steering Wheel Control Kit

the amp for the sub has speaker line inputs so i will run the cable from the back left hatch pannel to the sub amp, and then back over to the speaker? is that the best way to do it?

as far as i can tell this will work...

any thoughts?
Old 01-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would still use a line level converter. They are inexpensive and seem to work better then speaker level inputs on amplifiers I've used in the past. Another benefit of using the converter is that the level is generally adustable so you can tweek it.
If your looking to use an Infinity sub I have a used but in great shape Kappa Perfect 10 sub.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

the sub and amplifier will most likely be the last thing i purchase/install..

i plan on putting the replacement CDT, JVC, and bazooka speakers in kee audio's package in first...

seeing how it sounds...

maybe will install a new HU

the HU i chose and PAC unit should allow me to still have my steering wheel controls right? i really want them to still work

and then lastly i'll build the box and wire up the sub if need be...

i may try your LOC idea..

none of this is happening till march at earliest due to the z28 being in storage doing my homework for now
Old 01-18-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would find out if the Premium Speaker Package would be a better choice if you where definitely going to add a 10" sub in a stealth box, otherwise the Standard Speakers with the bazookas would be fine. I have a 10" sub in a stealth box and it works pretty good bouncing off the hatch!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

so why is the LOC a better way to do it than use the amplifier speaker inputs?

secondly, has anyone had problems using sony HU with steering wheel controls?

Quick Reply: 2000 z28 stereo system need advice