Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Question about audio & led strips

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Question about audio & led strips

I have alpine 6.5" components in front doors and a single 10" alpine type r sub. It's a very simple n small package.

I was wondering if it's easier on the battery if I play music without the sub while the key is just on accessory as oppose to with sub.

2nd question

I Want to use 2 strips of LEDs, 1 strip yellow/amber and other strip regular white in my camaro's clear turn signal housings to simulate audi lights.

How do wire these up so I can use the amber strip for turn signals?

Can I also install a switch so I can choose to run either the amber or white LED strip?

Thanks
Old 01-17-2010, 08:28 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
I have alpine 6.5" components in front doors and a single 10" alpine type r sub. It's a very simple n small package.

I was wondering if it's easier on the battery if I play music without the sub while the key is just on accessory as oppose to with sub.
Yes, anything that reduces the power draw of the system (head unit and/or amp) will reduce the draw on the battery. Even just turning down the volume can make a difference. The question is, do you do that often enough and for long enough to damage the battery? If not, don't worry about it although a deep cycle battery such as an Optima yellow top can take the repeated charge/discharge cycles better.

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
2nd question

I Want to use 2 strips of LEDs, 1 strip yellow/amber and other strip regular white in my camaro's clear turn signal housings to simulate audi lights.

How do wire these up so I can use the amber strip for turn signals?

Can I also install a switch so I can choose to run either the amber or white LED strip?

Thanks
First, find yourself a group of kids with Civics that have big wings on the back - they're likely to know how to mimic another car's equipment.

The existing wires at the turn signals are black, blue, and brown. Black is ground, brown is parking/running lights and blue is turn signal/DRL power. There is no easy way to add another set of lights for turn signals that won't also run as daytime running lights since they share the same power wire.

Quick Reply: Question about audio & led strips