Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

radar detector mounting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mean_greenZ
got my hard wire kit put in today! really glad i bought it. the only thing now is I think my detector is going out. it acts like it doesn't have the range it used to. state troopers usually leave their radar on when they have someone pulled over don't they?
depends man some do some don't. same as when cops shoot some have it constant on and others use instant on which means they can shoot it and then let go
Old 01-27-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
a lil off topic but i got hit from the front coming up on a hi po the other day. So he shot me from behind that had to be radar right???
depends they can shoot radar or laser. what did your radar alert you to? laser or radar?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ that's a nice setup!!
thanks man. im in the process of installing my blinder laser jammer on the car aswell.
once i get it done i will post pics of that aswell
Old 01-28-2010, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

he may have used instant-on. i just wish i knew for sure if it was working properly. it still picks up the "useless" signals aka cvs and other stores.. but it doesn't get them as far away as it used to. i have to be right up at the building before it will pick it up.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

he may have used instant-on. i just wish i knew for sure if it was working properly. it still picks up the "useless" signals aka cvs and other stores.. but it doesn't get them as far away as it used to. i have to be right up at the building before it will pick it up.
might be time for a tune depending on what kind of radar detector u got
Old 01-28-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bobbyd
might be time for a tune depending on what kind of radar detector u got
its a bel express 795. i've probably had it for about 4-5 years.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 02-03-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright.. i know it's been a few days, but i bought a new detector since i was pretty sure my 5 year old bel 795 had seen its better days. it came with the velcro to stick it directly to the dash. my question is.. has anyone ever velcroed theirs to the dash or either right over the gauges?? i'm debating either doing this or mounting up high above the mirror.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:56 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

i wouldn't velcro anything to my dash!
Old 02-03-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

so would it be best to mount it low or high considering these cars are low to begin with?
Old 02-03-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

so would it be best to mount it low or high considering these cars are low to begin with?
high. the higher the better. no lower than your rear view mirror
Old 02-04-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

high. the higher the better. no lower than your rear view mirror
ok thanks!!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

The height of the mounting makes very little difference for radar as long as the detector isn't blocked. Radar spreads in all directions and reflects off most surfaces so there is no real difference between the top and bottom of the windshield. In fact, my front detector is mounted below the bumper and gets great reception. Low on the dash on our cars tends to put the detector behind the wiper arms so it isn't the best location. Certain detectors (the V1 comes to mind) need to mounted higher in order to effectively receive radar signals from behind through the back window.

Laser is a completely different situation. Laser is a narrow beam so the detector should be as close as possible to the targeted part of the car. For most cars that would be the front license tag or the headlights (the most reflective things on the front of the car). Firebirds without front tags are more difficult to get a laser fix from because the windshield is too sloped to provide a good reflection. The painted surfaces will reflect laser but not as well as a license tag or headlights so the target distance is reduced. Detector position for laser is a trade-off... you want it low for the front because the target will be the front of the car but you want it high enough to see laser from behind through the back window.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

alright thanks guys!! i think i will just keep it up high and tucked away since if they get you with laser your screwed anyway..lol
Old 02-04-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright thanks guys!! i think i will just keep it up high and tucked away since if they get you with laser your screwed anyway..lol
get a laser jammer
Old 02-04-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

get a laser jammer
i wish!! can't afford it.. i've only seen cops in my area use laser maybe a handful of times over a few years. i got this new detector and have yet to see a cop running radar!!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wish!! can't afford it.. i've only seen cops in my area use laser maybe a handful of times over a few years. i got this new detector and have yet to see a cop running radar!!
you should be good then. once you see more laser i would recommend the blinder m27 unit or if you got the money get the best the laser interceptor.

im currently installing a blinder system on my car.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

you should be good then. once you see more laser i would recommend the blinder m27 unit or if you got the money get the best the laser interceptor.

im currently installing a blinder system on my car.
yea i'll definitely keep that in mind! stupid question.. but the tab on the bottom of the rearview mirror..is it suppose to be pointed toward the driver or toward the windshield for the "normal" position?
Old 02-04-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea i'll definitely keep that in mind! stupid question.. but the tab on the bottom of the rearview mirror..is it suppose to be pointed toward the driver or toward the windshield for the "normal" position?
if you have it facing toward the windshield is the proper way. if you have it pointing towards the driver (back) it makes the rear view mirror look darker like if you had some really dark tint. i believe this is to help with glare.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you have it facing toward the windshield is the proper way. if you have it pointing towards the driver (back) it makes the rear view mirror look darker like if you had some really dark tint. i believe this is to help with glare.
ok thanks!! that is the way i had it.

Quick Reply: radar detector mounting?